Badfinger "Baby Blue" (1972 Apple Records Acetate)

General music and other artist discussions.
Rickenbacker325

Re: Badfinger "Baby Blue" (1972 Apple Records Acetate)

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Ronson wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:22 am
snrub wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:47 am The single mix had reverb added to the snare drum.
Yup. This is definitely the single mix.
The drums almost sound like a modern overdub and different from the single mix…I’ve always been a fan of the LP mix myself
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Thanks, cliftdean74!

A few weeks ago, I had to install a new C: drive and get Win10 on it. After updates, Win10 no longer recognizes the version of Audition I've been using since 2009 and it isn't ever going to install. So I've had to go to the subscription model and get the newest version. I hate it. I've spent two hours trying to accomplish one function that used to take seconds. But anyway, I need to learn how to use it all over again. And look, here's an acetate that I can practice declicking on! I know it's mp3 source from a web video, but hey, why not give it a shot? If you guys would like to hear it without the scratches, I've got a link for you. I couldn't figure out how to use the NR function, de-hummer or sound removal functions to take away the sound of the cartridge buzzing, so I just applied a bit of NR to the beginning and end to remove it from the quiet parts. I saved it in FLAC, so as not to degrade the sound quality any further.

hxxps://we.tl/t-tblAjYrZJo
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

Yes its the single mix , but a 50 year old acetate youd expect pretty noisy sound, something quite worse.
Even if you dont play them they deteriorate just sitting there! and playing an acetate kills it slowly every time. Once you get over 100 playings the sound really goes down.

Kind of ironic that its more likely to be genuine if its in bad condition.. especially if you returned it to the store saying its not right because it doesn’t sound bad enough
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

You should also make note of any identifying numbers or words etched into the groove ??? Or do acetates not have that?
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Ziggy C wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:01 pmMy band played that one. Or at least, we gave it our best. While I was able to nail the solos in rehearsal, the live performance is an entirely 'nother milieu. At least I could hit (and can still hit) the high vocal harmonies. We had fun, though. My, Dixie, dear.
I played in bands for almost 30 years. I'd give anything to be able to hear people who could recreate this sound. Especially someone who could play this solo.

Does anyone know what make and models of guitars that are being played on this record?
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

mojofilter wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:31 pm I played in bands for almost 30 years. I'd give anything to be able to hear people who could recreate this sound. Especially someone who could play this solo.
And especially Badfinger themselves. Saw them on that tour and they were pretty rough. Didn't help that the third act/opener, unbilled, was a guy just then making his living at a couple piano bars in L.A. - Billy Joel, who was just plain incandescent. That solo, all bends and slink with nary a 'straight' note in sight, always reminded me of a guy named Jeff and his Strat. And listening to the drums on this mix argues somebody had Hal Blaine and “Be My Baby” on the brain.

Ripped from a telephone pole on Ventura Blvd. 50 years ago:

cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

rtbcIII wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:12 pm
mojofilter wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:31 pm I played in bands for almost 30 years. I'd give anything to be able to hear people who could recreate this sound. Especially someone who could play this solo.
And especially Badfinger themselves. Saw them on that tour and they were pretty rough. Didn't help that the third act/opener, unbilled, was a guy just then making his living at a couple piano bars in L.A. - Billy Joel, who was just plain incandescent. That solo, all bends and slink with nary a 'straight' note in sight, always reminded me of a guy named Jeff and his Strat. And listening to the drums on this mix argues somebody had Hal Blaine and “Be My Baby” on the brain.

Ripped from a telephone pole on Ventura Blvd. 50 years ago:
Great poster! Thanks for...posting!
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

Ditto, what a great-to-see poster! Love it . . . also, commenting on the acetate it occurs to me that there is also an "original mix" which Apple has released. Someone mentioned it was the single mix—at least we know there are three versions out there: original mix, LP mix and single mix. I sure hope this turns out to be a legit acetate. :)
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Gringo557 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:42 pm Ditto, what a great-to-see poster! Love it . . . also, commenting on the acetate it occurs to me that there is also an "original mix" which Apple has released. Someone mentioned it was the single mix—at least we know there are three versions out there: original mix, LP mix and single mix. I sure hope this turns out to be a legit acetate. :)
Next week I will take detailed pictures of it and post them here so we can all scrutinize it together!
Mirror Spock

Post by Mirror Spock »

Ziggy C wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:01 pm Baby Blue. The tune that closes out Breaking Bad.

My band played that one. Or at least, we gave it our best. While I was able to nail the solos in rehearsal, the live performance is an entirely 'nother milieu. At least I could hit (and can still hit) the high vocal harmonies. We had fun, though. My, Dixie, dear.
"Breaking Badfinger"
hxxps://we.tl/t-hYP7zlTkkV