Badfinger "Baby Blue" (1972 Apple Records Acetate)

General music and other artist discussions.
Mirror Spock

Re: Badfinger "Baby Blue" (1972 Apple Records Acetate)

Post by Mirror Spock »

mojofilter wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:20 am Thanks, cliftdean74!

A few weeks ago, I had to install a new C: drive and get Win10 on it. After updates, Win10 no longer recognizes the version of Audition I've been using since 2009 and it isn't ever going to install. So I've had to go to the subscription model and get the newest version. I hate it. I've spent two hours trying to accomplish one function that used to take seconds. But anyway, I need to learn how to use it all over again. And look, here's an acetate that I can practice declicking on! I know it's mp3 source from a web video, but hey, why not give it a shot? If you guys would like to hear it without the scratches, I've got a link for you. I couldn't figure out how to use the NR function, de-hummer or sound removal functions to take away the sound of the cartridge buzzing, so I just applied a bit of NR to the beginning and end to remove it from the quiet parts. I saved it in FLAC, so as not to degrade the sound quality any further.

hxxps://we.tl/t-tblAjYrZJo
You can try disabling some audio devices in Device Manager, such as NVIDIA High Definition Audio. An older version of Audition may work, then. Otherwise, you could make a new partition on your hard drive and install an older version of Windows 10 such as Win10-version 1909, and use that when you want to use the older version of Audition.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Thank you for the suggestions!
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Just watched the video. Amazing! I could not tell whether it was live, or it was the record, that they mimed unbelievably well. And dueling SGs! I noted the lack of reverb on the snare, too. Thanks, MS!

During the 30 years I played with people, I only met one guy who could sing way up there like the harmony vocals. Five of us went to a karaoke bar in the mid-'80s. As we left and were walking towards our car, I cajoled them into singing in public. We did Billy Joel's "The Longest Time." I sang bass. Ever been applauded as you walked down the street singing with some guys? I haven't seen any of them again since. But I'll bet they remember it.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Time Of The Season is another one we did as a band. I took the high part there, too. Tough. But to keep the voice capable, no smoking. Not before the gig. Not after the gig. Not anytime.

Now, if you're talking highs such as Sweet or Boston, I'm out of the race. Brad Delp was barely able to hit those live, even in the early days.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

mojofilter wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:20 am Thanks, cliftdean74!

A few weeks ago, I had to install a new C: drive and get Win10 on it. After updates, Win10 no longer recognizes the version of Audition I've been using since 2009 and it isn't ever going to install. So I've had to go to the subscription model and get the newest version. I hate it. I've spent two hours trying to accomplish one function that used to take seconds. But anyway, I need to learn how to use it all over again. And look, here's an acetate that I can practice declicking on! I know it's mp3 source from a web video, but hey, why not give it a shot? If you guys would like to hear it without the scratches, I've got a link for you. I couldn't figure out how to use the NR function, de-hummer or sound removal functions to take away the sound of the cartridge buzzing, so I just applied a bit of NR to the beginning and end to remove it from the quiet parts. I saved it in FLAC, so as not to degrade the sound quality any further.

hxxps://we.tl/t-tblAjYrZJo
Great job!
Yves
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Here are some detailed photos of the Badfinger acetate. The label, some scribbles in the runout groove, the grooves and the back. So let’s look at this thing forensically and decide if it’s legit.

Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

Good pictures, thanks for sharing them. I'm really no expert but that label sure doesn't look 50 years old (that doesn't necessarily mean it's not legit). Hopefully someone here can shed some light on the disc or the etchings.

I did find this online . . . http://applerecords.nl/UK%20LP%20Acetate.pdf
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Gringo557 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:50 pm Good pictures, thanks for sharing them. I'm really no expert but that label sure doesn't look 50 years old (that doesn't necessarily mean it's not legit). Hopefully someone here can shed some light on the disc or the etchings.

I did find this online . . . http://applerecords.nl/UK%20LP%20Acetate.pdf
Thanks for the link. When I bought it it was protected in a frame. If it’s been stored that way for a long time that could account for the clean label. I’m looking forward to everyone’s input!
sam004

Post by sam004 »

That is a cool disc.
Loved the video, with the TV bits in it
Mike Gibbins is unrecognizable to me.
Don't recall his hair that long.

As many know, the guitar played by Pete Ham once belonged to George Harrison.
Look for photos from 66, I think.
Plays it on the Paperback Writer video.