High-Resolution Audio

General music and other artist discussions.
Ziggy C

High-Resolution Audio

Post by Ziggy C »

I've only recently gotten into quad and high-resolution audio (as in, the last few years; since just before the world got sick...)

VLC player is awesome in that it allows for playback of Quad iso's and Quad VIDEO-TS files. Playback of AUDIO-TS files is clunky but do-able. The best way is to create an iso of the AUDIO-TS file, which will ensure uninterrupted playback.

BluRay Player Pro handles BDMV folders nicely.

Media Center is what I use to play SACD iso's. It handles the quad and 5.1 very well.

Using the HDMI output on my MacBook Pro gets the signal into my audio system and I'm in the clouds.

The Beatles stuff, in particular, The White Album, I think, sounds awesome in 5.1
Other artists material which I'd highly recommend in hi-res 5.1:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon & Wish You Were Here. There is also a fan-made version of Animals which is great, and will have to do as band in-fighting has stalled the official release of this gem. Meddle in 5.1 is also superb, if you know how to access it. It's hidden on the Reverber/ation Blu-Ray in The Early Years box set. (Not the stand-alone release, as it was caught and removed before that was issued.)
Dark Side should be listened to LOUD. This is a complete remix, which reveals all kinds of elements that were there, but buried in the original release.

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Queen - A Night At The Opera
The Who - Tommy
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland (turn on Voodoo Child (end of side 1..) turn it up. Turn it up some more. Mind blowing!!
Yes - Fragile, Close To The Edge, and Tales From Topographic Oceans
XTC - Skylarking and Drums & Wires
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Rush - A Farewell To Kings
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

There's also a ton of Quad out there. In discovering this for myself, a whole new realm opened up.

Deep Purple - Machine Head
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
both of which feature different mixes and/or versions of tunes. For that matter, the Rush - Signals 5.1 issue also features different mixes of some of the tunes.

Many of the early Elton John albums, some Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, Jethro Tull, Genesis, The Doors... I could go on...all had quad versions released back in the day.

The big thing, for me, is that in many of the re-issues in 5.1, especially those by Steve Wilson, the hiss is practically nil. The work tapes have been digitally transferred and cleaned up before the mixing process, yielding impeccably enjoyable masterpieces.

Is anyone into this kind of thing? Or is it all Echo and Earbuds now?
zaval80

Re: High-Resolution Audio

Post by zaval80 »

Ziggy C wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:32 pm Pink Floyd - There is also a fan-made version of Animals which is great, and will have to do as band in-fighting has stalled the official release of this gem.
Said to be released officially soon (this year?).

All The Doors albums with Morrison are released in 5.1, and there's a lone quad "Best Of" title.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

zaval80 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:56 pm All The Doors albums with Morrison are released in 5.1, and there's a lone quad "Best Of" title.
You're right, the Doors stuff is in 5.1 and sounds awesome. Horse Latitudes! Riders On The Storm!
The only Doors quad I have is the "Best Of" you mentioned.

As for Animals...
As you probably know, it was supposed to be released some time ago. And then again last year. All was going swimmingly, until David apparently didn't appreciate the album notes Roger provided and things ground to a halt. Maybe it'll be out this year? this century?
misterclaudel

Post by misterclaudel »

How do you make or burn a ATS audio files do you know?? I have a bunch of the DVD-A discs I made myself from downloads but I can't find a burner to burn those files....any suggestions? It would be highly appreciated.
skynet

Post by skynet »

zaval80 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:56 pm
Ziggy C wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:32 pm Pink Floyd - There is also a fan-made version of Animals which is great, and will have to do as band in-fighting has stalled the official release of this gem.
Said to be released officially soon (this year?).

All The Doors albums with Morrison are released in 5.1, and there's a lone quad "Best Of" title.
is scheduled for October this year already pre order the box set which includes the vinyl, cd, 5.1 mix and esay 🙂 is already available on PF official site
Last edited by skynet on Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
skynet

Post by skynet »

Ziggy C wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:32 pm I've only recently gotten into quad and high-resolution audio (as in, the last few years; since just before the world got sick...) ...

Is anyone into this kind of thing? Or is it all Echo and Earbuds now?
here .. another self confesed 5.1 and dolby atmos enthusiast , i could not agree more with you for all the albums you mentioned, my go to mix is now the 5.1 dts or dolby atmos, when available 🙂
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

misterclaudel wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:56 pm How do you make or burn a ATS audio files do you know?? I have a bunch of the DVD-A discs I made myself from downloads but I can't find a burner to burn those files....any suggestions? It would be highly appreciated.
If, by ATS files you mean AUDIO_TS, then its simply burning a regular DVD, isn't it? Dropping the AUDIO_TS folder with the AOB files in it, along with an empty VIDEO_TS folder, and burning a DVD. The last time I made an .iso for myself, I think that's how I did it. Only I created the iso file instead of burning an actual disc. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the question.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

skynet wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:09 am is scheduled for October this year already pre order the box set which includes the vinyl, cd, 5.1 mix and esay 🙂 is already available on PF official site
September 16th for basic. October 7th for Deluxe, which probably means BluRay. The mixes are from 2018. It's taken this long for it to see the light of day. It's a bummer (and hard to believe) that they're not including any shows from the 1977 In The Flesh tour in the package. Oakland? C'mon!!
misterclaudel

Post by misterclaudel »

Ziggy C wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:02 am
misterclaudel wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:56 pm How do you make or burn a ATS audio files do you know?? I have a bunch of the DVD-A discs I made myself from downloads but I can't find a burner to burn those files....any suggestions? It would be highly appreciated.
If, by ATS files you mean AUDIO_TS, then its simply burning a regular DVD, isn't it? Dropping the AUDIO_TS folder with the AOB files in it, along with an empty VIDEO_TS folder, and burning a DVD. The last time I made an .iso for myself, I think that's how I did it. Only I created the iso file instead of burning an actual disc. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the question.
These files will not burn or if they did for me a couple of years ago I don't know how I did it but they will not work either....I have a stack of unplayable well on my DVD Player that is hooked to my receiver they won't play but the ones that I was lucky enough to burn and they worked sound awesome.....any help would be great!
Attachments
Screenshot (9).png
Screenshot (9).png (186.24 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Thanks for the screenshot. That shows me there's perhaps a slight alteration in the naming of the files. Not something you did...just how it is in the AUDIO_TS folder. I have only limited experience playing with this stuff to get it to burn onto a DVD. So I apologize if my help falls, like, way short. I can only suggest that you can take the larger (obviously audio) files and drop into VLC player. It seems that you're able to do that already as the icons for those files are VLC icons. Hopefully it's not a whole lot of folders that are like this one...I tend to listen to music directly from my laptop, through an HDMI into my Yamaha surround receiver, and have only very rarely these days resorted to making DVD's.

Sorry I can't help beyond that. And good luck.