ELVIS TV footage from 1956 (dorsey brothers etc)

General music and other artist discussions.
journeyman

ELVIS TV footage from 1956 (dorsey brothers etc)

Post by journeyman »

Having recently seen the new ELVIS biopic at the cinema I was reminded of the early ELVIS tv appearances he did in 1956 (Dorsey Bothers - Stage Coach, Milton Berle, Steve Allen Show etc)
I have some of them, (thankfully the Ed Sullivan shows appeared on official dvd) there are some clips on the "Elvis Great Performances" dvds (1-3) but I notice these are often edited. A few appear on the Elvis 1956 doc too.

Does anyone know of any more complete performances on dvd, or download, obviously looking for the best quality wherever possible
As a non US resident I don't know if these were regional broadcasts at the time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
rtbcIII

Re: ELVIS TV footage from 1956 (dorsey brothers etc)

Post by rtbcIII »

I have seen VHS dubs of the complete Dorsey shows (years ago), but never online. The Elvis section at G-101 might be a good place to inquire as well.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

rtbcIII wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:41 pm I have seen VHS dubs of the complete Dorsey shows (years ago), but never online. The Elvis section at G-101 might be a good place to inquire as well.
Thanks rtbcIII - much appreciated
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

And thank you for stirring the pot over there and making some fresh uploads happen! :idea:
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

rtbcIII wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:59 am And thank you for stirring the pot over there and making some fresh uploads happen! :idea:
Isn't it great that the bootleg community come together and share things I'm always grateful to those who show the generosity to share.
I'm stil on the lookout for some more of those geat clips, even tracking them down from legitimate sources or releases as many are edited. I really wish the Presley estate would do an offical release :-)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I gotta say I'm flabergasted that there is no official compilation of all the early tv shows. There's not that many shows. Seems like such an obvious thing I can't believe it never happened.

But then, as Neil Aspinal once famously said, "That would be too obvious."
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:02 am I gotta say I'm flabergasted that there is no official compilation of all the early tv shows. There's not that many shows. Seems like such an obvious thing I can't believe it never happened.

But then, as Neil Aspinal once famously said, "That would be too obvious."
The 'Memphis Recording Service' issued an audio 2 cd, with remastered sound which is fantastic called "Elvis On Television" 1956-1960, and comes with an informative booklet and I believe it was their intention to remaster the original kinescopes of Elvis' performances and release a dvd, but as yet unfortunately nothing has materialised.
Listening to the audio I realise that many of the clips featured in Elvis documentaries or dvds are edited, losing usually the instrumental 'lead breaks' to reduce the lenghth of the tracks, which is such a shame
I think these performances are absolutely essential viewing, witnessing the birth of Rock music as we know it , and love it today -!!
https://www.discogs.com/release/8842756 ... ecordings-
johnlennon

Post by johnlennon »

Here's the entire first appearance on the aforementioned State Show, also being Elvis' first national television appearance.

Includes both 'Shake Rattle & Roll/Flip Flop & Fly' and 'I Got a Woman'
...Long Live BZ...
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

I did a re-do of the Elvis Dorsey Brothers performances, you can find it here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... cl3Up7QhLW

These are the performances that got him in trouble, he most certainly "toned it down" after that. Enjoy!
MrP

Post by MrP »

you may wish to consider not posting links to other artists (non beatles) material
Gringo557 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:24 pm I did a re-do of the Elvis Dorsey Brothers performances, you can find it here:

These are the performances that got him in trouble, he most certainly "toned it down" after that. Enjoy!