Kate Bush is #1 just about everywhere!

General music and other artist discussions.
mojofilter

Kate Bush is #1 just about everywhere!

Post by mojofilter »

It has been 44 years since Kate Bush had a #1 with her first single, "Wuthering Heights." Her highest UK chart placement for "Running Up That Hill" when released was #5. Since being included in the Netflix program "Stranger Things," the song has taken off and is now sitting at the top of many charts.

"Running Up That Hill" is currently the world's most-streamed song. Three weeks ago, it entered the Official UK Singles Chart at #8. The next week it was #2, behind Harry Styles. EMI had to challenge a chart company rule that only current music should be in the Top 40, and the OCC reset their streaming count. The next week, Kate was at #1. It is #1 in the music charts in Sweden, The Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland and Australia, and it's #1 on iTunes in the UK, the US, Canada and Australia. It is #1 on Shazam in Mexico, Brazil and Argentina. The song is also #1 in the US on the Billboard Hot Rock & Alternative Songs chart. It now holds the distinction of oldest song to reach #1 on the Billboard Streaming Songs chart. It is also #1 on their Global 200 chart. It is currently at #4 on the Hot 100.

The song has had 57 million global plays in the previous week. On TikTok, videos featuring the hashtag #RunningUpThatHill had been viewed over 530 million times. Kate has broken three UK chart records with her #1 placing. Radio programmers are saying that, same as when it was new, it sounds like nothing that anyone has ever done before or since, and young people can identify with its message in context of how it's been used on TV.

Stranger things, indeed! Congratulations to Kate. Just think of the millions of people who are going to check out the rest of her catalogue now!
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Lord Reith

Re: Kate Bush is #1 just about everywhere!

Post by Lord Reith »

That is so weird. I have been playing this song constantly lately and had no idea about any of this.

Love The Man With The Child In His Eyes, And Dream Of Sheep and Wow amongst others.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:19 am Stranger things, indeed! Congratulations to Kate. Just think of the millions of people who are going to check out the rest of her catalogue now!
But, what does mojofilter say?
I've been down this path at least 4 or 5 times. The nails in the lid of her coffin were driven home by the previous UNBELIEVABLE stats that made me think I had somehow missed something. It was Peter Gabriel that got me to listen to her the most...but, his help was tepid at best. On the other hand, the comment after yours, is certainly something that I cannot ignore. The words of millions are practically a sure thing but...here is Lord Reith on the shoulder of the road, looking like the hitch hiker from The Committee(Paul Jones UK 1968). And, yet...I have been conditioned to trust my gut feeling.
So, now we're back to "Don't Give Up"???
As Paul Jones tells the driver..."I shall have to think about it"...(Then he murders the driver).
So...there's a spot up ahead, where I can turn the car around.
Thank you!
KC
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

57 million plays - using the normal streaming equations for royalties, that should net Kate about £3.50
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

I've never heard the song before today but it would fit right in on Broadstreet...
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

alphabeatles wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:45 pm I've never heard the song but it would fit right in on Broadstreet...
Me neither but its fits in the line of Lord Reiths preference of Brunnettes :D

First Frida now Kate

But I have to admit LR has good taste not just in music.

Regards
ATN
Whats in that jar on your shelf? Tar?
No...its liquid Vinyl for making my dream collection.

The one with the Golden lid too?
Thats exclusive for Lord Reiths stuff
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Or maybe the B-side to Pretty Little Head.
Feromount

Post by Feromount »

Awesome, The Kick Inside is an amazing album and I've heard Hounds of Love is even better. It's great to see some really good older music be on the top of the charts again.

Speaking of the band this forum is about, I'd say that if they were lax with licensing their songs for TV shows and movies, we'd probably have one of their songs back in the charts eventually. I mean, there are quite a few songs of theirs that are pretty popular on social media already. (Strawberry Fields Forever, Blackbird).
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The thing I like about Kate is that she went against the whole stereotype of a female singer in the 70s. She didn't stand there like a Supreme and trace out imaginary circles with her hands, she did weird idiosyncratic performance art stuff. And she sang in very unusual ways, with many different "voices".

And she was also unbelievably cute, which didn't hurt of course. :)
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

Oh, sure. Everyone's jumping on the Kate Bush revival bandwagon now.

But who kept the torch burning all those years in between?