Beach Boys - Good Vibrations (2021 Stereo Mix)

General music and other artist discussions.
Venus and Mars

Re: Beach Boys - Good Vibrations (2021 Stereo Mix)

Post by Venus and Mars »

I just received the cd's "Best Of, Sounds Of Summer", I am not very satisfied with the mono-stereo extractions, Lord Reith seems to do much better without the original tapes :roll:
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

What would be really modern and high-tech would be to separate Brian Wilson into his stems, and then remix the person. Mix out the quirkiness and strangeness. Mix out the crazy. We'd then have a personable, relatable Brian. Perhaps LR could do it. Because if Capitol tried, they'd, like, get it totally wrong. Every time Brian spoke, we'd be hearing strange shimmering artifacts in the background.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I've always loved GV. The genius bit for me is the chorus right after the prolonged "AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" where the chord progression is reversed. Not many people would have thought of doing that.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Wow! The confusion of cousin loyalty when a Glen Campbell guitar part is all it would take to ricochet some Van Dyke Parks stratospheric lyrics into whipped honey and serve it down on a California Girl's Pearl in mono, stereo and beyond...must have scared the hell out of Brian. Has anything ever been so perfectly suited for a complimentary dynamic such as Wilson-Parks? The group weren't musicians anyway Brian and Van Dyke were creators/sculptors of sound. Brian did the lower ranks a favor when he needed them out from underfoot. "And DON'T come home until your harmonies sound GLORIOUS!". Even Bruce Johnston can stay. But if your singing isn't better than silence, you'll be getting a ride home from Murray! Ditto for the cousin! There was no reason to allow Brian to crumble from internal pressure...ALL after the fact. Mike Love was terrified that he wouldn't be needed. In reality, his function was to buffer the new direction and members...keep the hat but protect Brian. I don't know of any lyrics more psychedelic than Surf's Up. That is the most beautiful imagery ever conjured. Of course Mike Love doesn't get it. That is like rocket fuel in a Volkswagen engine. I LOVE worms...Mike Love, should not have been allowed to bring any insecurity into a perfect chemistry. The Beach Boys should have been chasing The Beatles instead of hiding from them. AND Brian would have never needed people like Eugene Landy!
Leonard Bernstein saw something very rare that we could have enjoyed as they competed with their contemporaries.
A new sound without limits...a conch shell! It sounds like the ocean.
Nice job on the 22 minutes, jpgrcat!
One, Won, Wonderful, you're welcome in the cantina, margaritas keep the Spirits coolee working on the railroad
nated ruins domino! Canvas the town and those are the broad strokes! Brother, Van!
KC
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Brian was predisposed to the stage fright and nervousness, which ultimately led to serious self-doubt, catalyzed by some seriously unchecked drug abuse, and exacerbated by some real shoddy doctors. In the 70's, two of the worst offenders in keeping Brian drugged were his brothers, Dennis and Carl. It's a shame, too. Lots of wasted time and lots of lost time wasted. Hiring Stan and Rocky to "protect" Brian and keep him off drugs was smart. But were they the right guys to do it? Jury's out on that one.

I like the tracks that came out of Smile; Wind Chimes, Heroes and Villains, all the incidental song-feels. Also, Surf's Up. Awesome album! Holland, too.

Not a bad bunch of tracks from the labyrinthine thoughts of Brian.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

He was not cut out for the life of a pop star. Many aren't and only find out too late. They are like lambs to the slaughter.

Be careful of what you wish for, you just may get it.
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:27 am He was not cut out for the life of a pop star. Many aren't and only find out too late. They are like lambs to the slaughter.

Be careful of what you wish for, you just may get it.
But he had Good Vibrations...ahhhh

My humble thought

Regards
ATN
Whats in that jar on your shelf? Tar?
No...its liquid Vinyl for making my dream collection.

The one with the Golden lid too?
Thats exclusive for Lord Reiths stuff
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

jpgrcat wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:24 am In 2008, I made this.... 22 minutes long
A Beachean Vibesodhy to say the least.

I enjoyed it

thanks
ATN
Whats in that jar on your shelf? Tar?
No...its liquid Vinyl for making my dream collection.

The one with the Golden lid too?
Thats exclusive for Lord Reiths stuff
Fabricio4322

Post by Fabricio4322 »

alphabeatles wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:35 pm
thewarpedvinyljunkie wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:38 pm Maybe it's just me, but something sounds amiss at 2:13-14.
I hear a minor edit there, perhaps a punch-in or splice on the original that's made more obvious in the separation?
In the Original Mono Mix, this Edit can be heard but the Reverb covers it up a bit to the point of almost not being heard.
The only thing in real True Stereo is the Backing Track(That's why that Edit is very obvious and it's very Audible) and to me,
The Backing Track is Reconstructed, to Match the Speed of the Original Mono Mix which runs a bit slower
But everything sounds Off-Sync and you can listen to prove it. Overall, it's a great Attempt and there's no doubt of the amount of work
they've put on this Stereo Mix.
I've done a Stereo Mix and also with Stereo Vocals which the Source are the Sessions and Mixes they've published through the Years,
If anybody wants to Listen, Let me know and i'll provide a link.
Mixerrog

Post by Mixerrog »

2 weeks ago I just completed updated stereo mixes of 65 Beach Boys songs using the best possible sources (only Heroes & Villains from the new 3 CD set made my cut) that I included some DES work of mine also that I might be able to send out through PMs if you send me a PM request.

It includes stereo versions of both "Good Vibrations" (actually mostly Garrett's great version) & "The Little Girl I Once Knew" (on my YouTube channel if you want to preview it).

Rog