Other Artists Forum Rules

General music and other artist discussions.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Other Artists Forum Rules

Post by WilliamShears »

There needs to be a line drawn somewhere, where does it stop? George Martin produced quite a few acts. AIR studios hosted quite a few more. The members of the band have produced quite a few acts. I've chosen to draw the line where there is a Beatle performing on the recording. If Paul is guesting on a Steve Miller track, that doesn't mean the whole SM archive is available for posting, for example. I appreciate that everyone wants a wide range of shares but my goal is to keep the site up as long as possible with the least amount of potential problems.

I'm sure others on here would draw different lines, that's fine and I'm open to discussing it, but this is where the line is now.
Golem

Post by Golem »

WilliamShears wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:06 am There needs to be a line drawn somewhere, where does it stop? George Martin produced quite a few acts. AIR studios hosted quite a few more. The members of the band have produced quite a few acts. I've chosen to draw the line where there is a Beatle performing on the recording. If Paul is guesting on a Steve Miller track, that doesn't mean the whole SM archive is available for posting, for example. I appreciate that everyone wants a wide range of shares but my goal is to keep the site up as long as possible with the least amount of potential problems.

I'm sure others on here would draw different lines, that's fine and I'm open to discussing it, but this is where the line is now.
I feel like there's a bit of common sense that needs to go into this, Julian Lennon live bootleg performances don't have a beatle on them, but imo fit here. There's also Songs They Gave Away stuff, which doesn't have any beatles on it, but are even official beatles recordings. You can't tell me the fourmost session take of Hello Little Girl doesn't fit here. I feel like there shouldn't be a strict line drawn like this, we all know what's beatles and what isn't
MrP

Post by MrP »

I don't think a "other artists" forum is needed at all for sharing of any music, video or such

there are a number of other sites that can fit the bill and handle those posts on those artists
and I doubt they would be missed here.

I would lean toward a more hard line position in that unless any of the 4 are directly involved it has no place here
so no other artists cover songs, cover albums, sean, julian, other george martin production, other apple artists......
Golem

Post by Golem »

MrP wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:41 am no other artists cover songs, cover albums, sean, julian, other george martin production, other apple artists......
but these things are inherently Beatle, I get not wanting unrelated things or official content, but a bootleg tape of a sean/julian really isn't going to go anywhere BUT a beatles forum.
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

I totally get the point about protecting the site, but what if someone was to share things on another site. Would sharing WHERE they are posted be a problem? Just a thought.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The risk with hosting other artists is that it's an unknown quotient. We don't know how, for instance, Julian Lennon or James Taylor might feel about being shared around. Recently I think it was Eric Clapton who sued a woman simply for selling a single second hand copy of an ancient boot on Ebay.

Remember that it is WilliamShears who has to pay for all the bandwidth and take responsibility for the site. He made this to be a Beatles site and I don't think he anticipated the avalanche of content that ensued when the Other Artists board was added.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

I am grateful that this forum is interested in BEATLES music! That is enough to keep any individual busy.
Beatles Music isn't a tangent! It is a complete mountain to climb by itself...
At least we aren't debating whether or not SOLO Beatles music is Beatles Music...
there is no need to do so.
Thank you, WilliamShears!!!
This forum is cutting edge!
What goes on here is the BEST that the hobby has ever known.
The prime directive is to insure that it doesn't end prematurely!
That weren't no DJ,
that was hazy cosmic jive!!!
Let all the children boogie!
KC
Lupine Assassin

Post by Lupine Assassin »

Thanks for the heads-up. I was hoping I posted the Gelsen Gas in the right place, no big deal.
We all bleed blue from the inside....