Oasis

General music and other artist discussions.
jpgrcat

Re: Oasis

Post by jpgrcat »

AllTogetherNow wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:00 am FIRE The Band....there is an underestimated Talent/Band
https://www.discogs.com/master/230557-F ... -Shoemaker

just me saying

Regards

ATN
I just got the 3 CD The Fire set...One of the Most underrated Psychedelic Albums
Also have their earlier single CD

The Koobas 1969 Album is Awesome too..
Love to get a HD Lossless rip of the Mono edition...I have the Stereo CD
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
jspaceman

Post by jspaceman »

jpgrcat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:07 pmThe closest Music I ever heard that sounded like any of the Beatles or solo...
If you've not already heard of Cotton Mather, you should check them out, in particular the album 'Kontiki'.
KennySaxton

Post by KennySaxton »

Blur is definitely better than Oasis in every aspect LOL
Words and gibberish remixed from Merriam-Webster's by Kenny Saxton
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Oleg Vostyakov wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:00 am Can Oasis really be considered the successor of the Beatles in the 90s-00s? Or is it far-fetched marketing? What do you think about that?
Well I think the first thing that needs to be said is that Oasis is actually the Gallagher brothers. They could have swapped the other three guys with any musos from down the pub and you wouldn't have noticed any difference.

I love Noel's bravado. He's a funny guy and it tempers his outrageous boasting. Liam is not funny and so his arrogance can be very tedious. Noel wrote some really catchy songs and is a frigging fantastic guitarist in the sense that he can make it roar and growl but still do a decent solo. He's head and shoulders above those guitar hero types of the 80s and the grunge guys who could only play chords with one finger and a detuned E string. His guitar sound and Liam's voice are an unbeatable combination, so even with some half decent songs they were bound to be successful.

Their popularity in England was very different to anywhere else though. In the US and Australia, guitar bands had never gone away and there were loads of great live acts. In England it was more about house music at that time and Oasis suddenly appeared out of nowhere playing loud guitar music. They also roade the crest of the New Ladism movement of the early 90s. They were the idols of all the blokes who had felt emasculated and pushed aside by the dance music and political correctness of the late 80s/early 90s.

Also, in the UK The Beatles were still household names and national treasures, so a band that openly paid homage to them to the point of openly imitating their look and lyrics was not seen as a rip-off but something to be proud of.

In most other places, they were seen as a Beatles lookalike group who played melodic pop in the same vein as a lot of other indie bands. We all couldn't understand why Oasis thought they were so different. The songs were good and catchy, but their vain boasting and hooliganism just alienated a lot of people when divorced from its cultural origins. I think at the time, the first two albums were equally popular as the Nirvana and Greenday stuff. Then after that, everybody completely forgot about them. When they were mentioned, it was like "Oh, you still listen to them?"

30 years later I'm more of a fan than I was then, but Liam still annoys me a lot and I actually prefer Noel as a solo act. But I also still like all the other grungy independent stuff from that time so I don't think it is because Oasis are special in any way.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
BeatleDan

Post by BeatleDan »

i terms of talent, the only person thats come along since the late seventies that is close to lennon or mccartney is Kurt Cobain
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Over the years, there have been numerous marketing attempts to "call" the "next Beatles." Sadly, its like the kiss of death as it immediately taints opinion and jades the potential audience. I saw it happen with The Knack, and then again with Oasis. There have been but a few bands to come around that actually kinda fit the bill. The Knickerbockers comes to mind. But the rest are/were decent bands on their own, without the comparison.
innergroove

Post by innergroove »

tsardaniel1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:20 pm
Mollusk wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:20 am
Darth Kybiel wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:45 am Taylor Swift is not a musician though. She's just a performer. She writes lyrics to backing tracks and claims they are her songs. She don't really give a real concert. She needs one of those ear pieces with a voice to tell her where a verse or refrain even is. If that is talent, I got a puggle puppy that can perform better than her! If it isn't a full band it isn't really art or talent, it's just an idiot on stage dancing around like there are gerbals down their pants. There's a lot of groups and musicians that really do give REAL concerts, whether they suck or not, I still say they got more art and talent than Disney clown puppets caked in make-up or queer guys spazzing to backing tracks on stage. I prefer music over brainwashing Mickey Meth pushers.
Dude get your head out of your ass and stop being a massive f*cking bigot, holy f*cking shit. You don't have to like Taylor Swift, but fucks sake man you're managing to spout homophobia, ableism, and straight up lies in one big f*cking message. Grow up, man.
Amen sir!!!!
Amen from me too. Well said Mollusc.
misterclaudel

Post by misterclaudel »

rtbcIII wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:24 pm To some of us, the Britpop era is just a Blur.
Good pun with the Blur there....I liked Britpop.....well mostly the Madchester Scene.
misterclaudel

Post by misterclaudel »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:13 pm
Oleg Vostyakov wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:00 am Can Oasis really be considered the successor of the Beatles in the 90s-00s? Or is it far-fetched marketing? What do you think about that?
Well I think the first thing that needs to be said is that Oasis is actually the Gallagher brothers. They could have swapped the other three guys with any musos from down the pub and you wouldn't have noticed any difference.

I love Noel's bravado. He's a funny guy and it tempers his outrageous boasting. Liam is not funny and so his arrogance can be very tedious. Noel wrote some really catchy songs and is a frigging fantastic guitarist in the sense that he can make it roar and growl but still do a decent solo. He's head and shoulders above those guitar hero types of the 80s and the grunge guys who could only play chords with one finger and a detuned E string. His guitar sound and Liam's voice are an unbeatable combination, so even with some half decent songs they were bound to be successful.

Their popularity in England was very different to anywhere else though. In the US and Australia, guitar bands had never gone away and there were loads of great live acts. In England it was more about house music at that time and Oasis suddenly appeared out of nowhere playing loud guitar music. They also roade the crest of the New Ladism movement of the early 90s. They were the idols of all the blokes who had felt emasculated and pushed aside by the dance music and political correctness of the late 80s/early 90s.

Also, in the UK The Beatles were still household names and national treasures, so a band that openly paid homage to them to the point of openly imitating their look and lyrics was not seen as a rip-off but something to be proud of.

In most other places, they were seen as a Beatles lookalike group who played melodic pop in the same vein as a lot of other indie bands. We all couldn't understand why Oasis thought they were so different. The songs were good and catchy, but their vain boasting and hooliganism just alienated a lot of people when divorced from its cultural origins. I think at the time, the first two albums were equally popular as the Nirvana and Greenday stuff. Then after that, everybody completely forgot about them. When they were mentioned, it was like "Oh, you still listen to them?"

30 years later I'm more of a fan than I was then, but Liam still annoys me a lot and I actually prefer Noel as a solo act. But I also still like all the other grungy independent stuff from that time so I don't think it is because Oasis are special in any way.
I agree with you on a lot of points but Grunge to me was a savior from the discussing untalented bothersome revolting no talent assclowns That bogged airwaves and MTV here in the states for almost a decade called "Hair Metal" " Or "Heavy Metal" and I use that term loosely for these no talent pricks. I escaped with earplugs in hand to British bands of the 80's Like The Cure & The Smiths. When Grunge came along and kicked these clowns to the curb I was overjoyed! I would have rather endured Oasis than any hairband on planet earth. I mean Grunge weren't the Beatles but some great bands were spawned from that era.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

misterclaudel wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:46 am I agree with you on a lot of points but Grunge to me was a savior from the discussing untalented bothersome revolting no talent assclowns That bogged airwaves and MTV here in the states for almost a decade called "Hair Metal"
Oh yeah, they always seemed to pop up in Michael J. Fox movies.

But yeah, I really hate those bands. They always go into a guitar solo, and it's always the same guitar solo, no matter which band or what song.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene