Producing 5.1 mixes

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Lord Reith

Re: Producing 5.1 mixes

Post by Lord Reith »

I have some dvds with The Lost Lennon Tapes on them in this format. When you put the dvd in, a menu comes up and you click on the episode you want to hear, and it plays while the screen displays a picture of it. These are stereo of course, but 5.1 is no different.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
hogshead of hellfire

Post by hogshead of hellfire »

An "ancient" but purely analog way of experimenting doing something like this (though, it would be limited to 4.0 channels) would involve: getting hold of a 1970s Marantz quadraphonic receiver (I did it with a model 4240 from 1974) and while running even a regular stereo input into it, set the selector on "sq matrix quad mode" then adjust the control labeled "Dimension" to electronically process the stereo signal into four pseudo-discrete sources. The more extreme separation in the two channel program material, the better the result of the effect (it will then divide the vocals from the rest of the band, front to rear, almost entirely). When you're able to get things now isolated to that degree, it becomes even easier to manipulate any aspect of a nuanced sound whichever way you want.

This is not the same as what one would think of a home theater receiver doing in "modern" terms, because the vintage equipment can be manually controlled according to listener taste as well as not have digital reverb interference muddying the surround effect: the case of experimenting with this particular kind of vintage technology will (actually) be "re-mixing" the input source, not just relying upon a delay signal sent to the back.
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

hogshead of hellfire wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:36 pm An "ancient" but purely analog way of experimenting doing something like this (though, it would be limited to 4.0 channels) would involve: getting hold of a 1970s Marantz quadraphonic receiver (I did it with a model 4240 from 1974) and while running even a regular stereo input into it, set the selector on "sq matrix quad mode" then adjust the control labeled "Dimension" to electronically process the stereo signal into four pseudo-discrete sources. The more extreme separation in the two channel program material, the better the result of the effect (it will then divide the vocals from the rest of the band, front to rear, almost entirely). When you're able to get things now isolated to that degree, it becomes even easier to manipulate any aspect of a nuanced sound whichever way you want.

This is not the same as what one would think of a home theater receiver doing in "modern" terms, because the vintage equipment can be manually controlled according to listener taste as well as not have digital reverb interference muddying the surround effect: the case of experimenting with this particular kind of vintage technology will (actually) be "re-mixing" the input source, not just relying upon a delay signal sent to the back.
Thats explains it.

So al I have to do is load the tape on my G36 and press start.

Regards
Whats in that jar on your shelf? Tar?
No...its liquid Vinyl for making my dream collection.

The one with the Golden lid too?
Thats exclusive for Lord Reiths stuff