Producing 5.1 mixes

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
AndInTheEnd

Re: Producing 5.1 mixes

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Ah, there's the rub... I have tried looking there many times, but the screen showing 5.1 as an option just isn't there now! I reckon it's been rejigged in recent updates and doesn't exist now.

BUT...

Somehow I DID manage to get the multi layer option screen to show, even without the 5.1 option showing, and DID somehow get a test file saved!!

Only (small) problem I now have is getting that file converted to be playable as an audio file, rather than as an ISO file; any ideas guys? I HAVE managed my first ever 5.1 mix though, with lots of help from you guys, thanks so very much. Technology eh!!

Very grateful guys!!

AiTE
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Try installing audacity 2.1.3

https://archive.org/details/audacity-win-2.1.3_201803

You can run two different versions on the same computer.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Woo that's a great idea, dear Lord.

I have managed to produce some decent 5.1s already, but only burnable as ISO CDs.. but hey.. three days ago, I couldn't even do THAT!

Thanks so much.. and for such a fabulous bounty of goodies that you are endlessly providing us all with!

AiTE 😎😍
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Ok, before loading up the extra version of Audacity as our Lord has suggested, does anyone know how it is possible to embed 5.1 DTS encodes into a Wave file (as many others have supplied on these pages for Beatles 5.1s and others)? THIS seems to be this old man's final stumbling block!!! I have managed 5.1 encoded wave files, but they don't play/burn as playable as 5.1 in an audio sense (if that's understandable(?)).

Thanks as ever guys. I will NOT be beaten!!!!

AiTE
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

AndInTheEnd wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:27 pm Ok, before loading up the extra version of Audacity as our Lord has suggested, does anyone know how it is possible to embed 5.1 DTS encodes into a Wave file (as many others have supplied on these pages for Beatles 5.1s and others)? THIS seems to be this old man's final stumbling block!!! I have managed 5.1 encoded wave files, but they don't play/burn as playable as 5.1 in an audio sense (if that's understandable(?)).

Thanks as ever guys. I will NOT be beaten!!!!

AiTE
You could save them in ac3 format. What are you playing the files on?
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

I'm playing them on on a BluRay setup.. they just don't burn as 5.1 audio CDs.. well, they DO, but then they only play as a flattened stereo file.

But if I burn them as an ISO (data) file, they're fine - but then they only play in alphabetical filename order!

I DO like this challenge! 😎

AiTE 😂
magoocus

Post by magoocus »

If you're trying to put them on cd I believe your only option is to encode them in DTS with either the old program SurCode or the newer and better DTS-HD Master Audio Suite. Neither is cheap. A standard CD doesn't support the 5.1 format without special encoding. Have you tried putting them on a DVD-R?
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Ah, I guessed that could be the case, thanks. I have only been putting them on CDRs presently, though maybe I should try DVDRs too.

The thing is, for ME they play ok, but there's the limitation for titling that means that they will only follow each alphabetically on an ISO CDR - a small irritation, but I can cope with it... but a pain in the bum if I wanted to share anything with anyone.

Thanks everyone for all your support and help guys!!!

AiTE
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

You could encode the audio as 5.1 ac3 and then use this tool to put them on dvd. You select the ac3 file you made and a still picture you want to accompany it, and when you watch the disc on a dvd player you just click on the menu item and you see the still picture with the audio playing. This is actually pretty cool because you can either have a picture of The Beatles or some sort of description.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/GUI-for-dvdauthor

I have actually used this (a long time ago) and it definitely works. It will be ac3 audio not wave, but if you choose 448 kbps (the maximum bitrate for dvd) then it should still sound pretty damn good. Ac3 is a very good codec.
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Excellent advice dear man, I shall certainly take all of these forward!!!! I will send you a PM in a few minutes.

AiTE