Producing 5.1 mixes

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
AndInTheEnd

Producing 5.1 mixes

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Hi all.

Ok, I have the wherewithal for producing 5/6 individual files from music, and would love to be able to create either a wave or FLAC file of these channels to burn to a CD to see how well it'd sound in 5.1.

Is there any software out there that I can use to help produce such mixes (I doubt that they would be "free", but I can dream..)? Audacity is supposed to be an option, but I investigated and only got more confused!

Does anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks all.

AiTE
Last edited by AndInTheEnd on Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ToddS

Re: Producing 5.1 mixes

Post by ToddS »

Deleted
Last edited by ToddS on Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Sorry, think it got mistaken.. I'm looking for software to help produce 5.1 mixes... not tracks to work on.

AiTE
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Audacity.

You won't be able to burn 5.1 to a CD.
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

in the old days I think there was a surcode program that could get the individual files and make it dts 5.1.. and from that you could make a dts 5.1 cdr, that you could pop into any dvd or cd player and with digital out from the player, into a home theatre receiver, you could hear in dts 5.1 surround sound.

These days you can burn dvdr's to do surround sound 5.1 etc, but im not up to date on what to do there.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

In audacity, import all the tracks and then go to settings and change from "mix down all tracks to stereo" to "custom mix".
export 5.1.jpg
export 5.1.jpg (161.07 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
Then when you export you'll see this dialogue:
export 2.jpg
export 2.jpg (124.29 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Thanks, dear Lord. Sadly, even though I managed (somehow) to grab the FFMpeg library necessary in Audacity, the export to 5.1 option doesn't want to show for me.

I got this far the other day, but found the Audacity instructions online a little confusing (to this old head). Ok, I managed to find the relevant library, but... then I got stuck!! Can anyone describe what I need to do in words of one syllable to help this old geezer?!!

Thanks as always - and especially to you LR for your response here.

AiTE
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

I am convinced that there is a step that I am not doing, as the 5.1 option that the Good Lord is showing in his post above has never appeared for me 😟.

If anyone can throw light, or offer another easy option, it would be extremely gratefully received.

Thanks all.

AiTE
magoocus

Post by magoocus »

Audition 3 is what I used to use. Open your files in edit menu, go to multitrack menu, right-click your files one by one to insert into multitrack, then on the view menu go to Surround Encoder. In that window you can mix your files, move them around in the sound field, play back your mix etc. When you export, the 2nd option is "one interleaved 6-channel wave file." Convert the resulting 6ch wav to flac with dBpoweramp or some such.

Newer versions of Audition may give you more options, like 7.1, or straight to flac.

Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

AndInTheEnd wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:56 pm I am convinced that there is a step that I am not doing, as the 5.1 option that the Good Lord is showing in his post above has never appeared for me 😟.

If anyone can throw light, or offer another easy option, it would be extremely gratefully received.

Thanks all.

AiTE
It's under EDIT then PREFERENCES.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene