Question on Ripping Vinyl

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
skynet

Question on Ripping Vinyl

Post by skynet »

Question, doing some experimenting on ripping Vinyl, to which i am fairly new doing it, so my apology if this question is a bit naive

When ripping, regardless of the source and hardware you are using, what is the "recommended" sample rate? or setting that i should use?

Please let me know

Thanks in advance

Regards
zaval80

Re: Question on Ripping Vinyl

Post by zaval80 »

Depends on the quality of your vinyl first and on your plans, what you intend to do with your rip. If your vinyl disc is not close to EX, M, it makes sense to apply the standard Redbook conditions (16 bits, 44.1 kHz). If it sounds great and is not burdened with too much defects, and you are not restricted by free space on the hard disc, it makes sense to try 24 bits and 96 kHz. In my experience, if the music sounds great, it sounds great even at Redbook, and if not, higher resolution is not a solution (yet it eats the free space).
skynet

Post by skynet »

zaval80 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:38 am Depends on the quality of your vinyl first and on your plans, what you intend to do with your rip. If your vinyl disc is not close to EX, M, it makes sense to apply the standard Redbook conditions (16 bits, 44.1 kHz). If it sounds great and is not burdened with too much defects, and you are not restricted by free space on the hard disc, it makes sense to try 24 bits and 96 kHz. In my experience, if the music sounds great, it sounds great even at Redbook, and if not, higher resolution is not a solution (yet it eats the free space).
Thanks a lot for the answer that helps me a lot :)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Based on what we've learned lately, I would rip at 32 bit/48khz and then normalize the peaks to 0db afterwards and save as a 24 bit/48k file. If you just want to make a cd then capture in 44.1k... no point in resampling if you don't need to.

If you capture in 32 bit it doesn't matter if the audio clips in the capture software. It can clip like crazy and it won't matter - just normalize to 0db afterwards. There's no need to stay in 32 bit after that because the extra 8 bits are just for overhead. If you capture in 24 bit and it clips unexpectedly, you would have to start over.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene