separation

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
georgefromhenley

separation

Post by georgefromhenley »

Hi - maybe it is a silly question but is there (free) program out there that could do the mono to stereo separation that has been done by Giles Martin recently by "learning" the sounds of the instruments and voices involved?
csnyfan

Re: separation

Post by csnyfan »

Plenty, actually. The best available for free at the moment is demucs.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

csnyfan wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:21 pm Plenty, actually. The best available for free at the moment is demucs.
Thanks for the heads-up, it can be downloaded here for Mac/Windows:

hxxps://www.fosshub.com/Demucs-GUI.html

Seems to take a few minutes to work (with separation progress noted at the bottom of the GUI) but the output folder will eventually be in the same location as the input.

Not sure if custom models can be installed or just the default.

It seems to work on the local computer, yes?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The free programs have been around for at least five years. Peter Jackson's software is built on Spleeter, one of the more successful freeware demixers.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:57 am The free programs have been around for at least five years. Peter Jackson's software is built on Spleeter, one of the more successful freeware demixers.
Spleeter I tried some time back (website version?), also Acoustica (local app) and Stems. I like the Demucs app, bare as it is. I tried some old mono blues tunes and got good results.

Time suck for sure, but great for making Something New!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

alphabeatles wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:08 am
Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:57 am The free programs have been around for at least five years. Peter Jackson's software is built on Spleeter, one of the more successful freeware demixers.
Spleeter I tried some time back (website version?), also Acoustica (local app) and Stems. I like the Demucs app, bare as it is. I tried some old mono blues tunes and got good results.

Time suck for sure, but great for making Something New!
The first one I think was Unmix, then I remember the Phonic Mind website which might have been based on Unmix. Then there was a very primitive and useless early version of Demucs on facebook. Then Deezer came up with Spleeter, which was a fair bit improved. Deezer virtually gave away the code for free to anyone who wanted it, so then we got a tidal wave of demixing apps and websites all using Spleeter as their engine. I used Spleeter to do Abracadabra in 2021. Then, annoyingly, just as I'd finished it Demucs released their version 3 which was a total game changer. And in parallel with the development of Demucs3, Peter Jackson's engineers were also using the same techniques to create their improved version of Spleeter which they call MAL.

Now we've got Demucs4, but I can't actually find any use for that. On everything I've tried it on it produces inferior results to Demucs3. And while I think MAL produces cleaner stems than Demucs3, that doesn't always make much (or any) difference when the stems are recombined into a new mix. So I'm fairly confident there will not need to be any sequel to Fabracdabra. I hope.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
rawsmack

Post by rawsmack »

georgefromhenley wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:07 pm Hi - maybe it is a silly question but is there (free) program out there that could do the mono to stereo separation that has been done by Giles Martin recently by "learning" the sounds of the instruments and voices involved?
You can't convert from mono to stereo in one step. At first you need a software or website to demix your track into single files. Demucs is free, RX9 and Acoustica are not, but Acoustica is really great. There are several websites like Gaudiolab or Lalai you can use as well, usually for free. After demixing you need a software to put your single music files into a good mix with mixing, eqing and mastering steps. This is the part where you actually remix into stereo. I use FL Studio, which makes me use lots of 3rd party software (also called VST plugins), but it's not free. You can use Adacity to remix, it's free. Otherwise there are lots of DAW's around, but usually not for free. With SplitEq or Fabfilter's Q3 there's another way to make a hi-hat sound left or right when the actual drums are mono, but those are expensive plugins.
JohnMiller

Post by JohnMiller »

Tried this phone app

Remove or isolate vocals and instruments in any song. Adjust the speed, change the pitch, and enable metronome counts.

https://moises.ai/