AI can simulate anyone’s voice with 3 seconds of audio

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
zaval80

Re: AI can simulate anyone’s voice with 3 seconds of audio

Post by zaval80 »

I remember a short note in Rolling Stone around 1990 about a working jetpack, but that was that, this thing remained where it belonged, with the government's agencies. As for the computers, I understand that this was something already functioning in the '70s, like folks in France were enjoying their national version of early Internet.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Ahh, jet packs. The staple of all futuristic visions of the 1960s!

Still mightily pissed off we never got them.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Ziggy C wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:47 pm Jim Morrison's comments on music back in 1969 are prophetic. In this clip he discusses where American music came from and where it is going.

Starting at about 1:15 is most interesting... one person with a lot of machines, tapes?

The Doors have used the expertise of Paul Beaver to their advantage on the title track (recorded in April 1967) to their Strange Days album. Theirs was the 2nd use of a proper synthesizer (as opposed to some simpler designs like a bank of oscillators) in pop/rock after The Monkees, though some other artists were there a bit earlier than both of them. Whatever Beaver played to them, he was not able to reproduce the same exact sounds. It's interesting that the song has several moments as if something is thrown to the floor (I was even able to return a gold DCC disc of the album to the shop, claiming it was defective :lol: , and only discovered to my shame :oops: that actually it reproduced the sounds faithfully, it's just, I was not aware that the same sounds can be heard on the LP until I checked - they just were not heard THAT good on my late German vinyl edition as on the audiophile CD). I happen to think these were the moments when Paul Beaver had to throw some of his cord bays or patches when improvising his sounds on the fly, because this is the only Doors recording with such ugly noises.

Not only Jim Morrison was the witness to Paul Beaver's performance, the popular wisdom has him actually selecting some presets on Paul's machine for treating his voice or maybe pressing some keys (though he certainly wasn't much of a musician; he could only play a little bit of piano and harmonica). In any case, he had the first-hand knowledge of the possibilities this new apparatus offered at the moment.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I read in the news that Rolling Stone is now going to be using AI to write "parts" of some of their articles.

If a writer actually can't be bothered writing and feels he needs a computer to finish it for him then he is in the wrong profession! Aren't writers supposed to write because they enjoy it?

The RS owners seem to think this is a really good idea because it will allow more articles to be written... erm, how exactly? You mean that writers will get paid the same to write two articles instead of one because a machine helped them?

Also, if you let a machine do part of your job for you, then it's only a short matter of time before it replaces you altogether. Look at Faecebook News which is all written by bots.

The only way I can see all this ending well is if it forces musicians and writers to up their game. If a bot can do your job just as well as you can, then obviously you need to come up with something so good that it stands head and shoulders above the bots' output. Will this happen? Or will musos and writers and other artists all keep proceeding blindly towards their doom, giving more and more of their tasks over to bots until they are totally redundant and ripe for culling?
studio2

Post by studio2 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:52 pm Ahh, jet packs. The staple of all futuristic visions of the 1960s!

Still mightily pissed off we never got them.
That and flying cars, my hours commute would only take 10 minutes :)
studio2

Post by studio2 »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhoc ... d1bbe64834

Spotify are also leading the way by the sound things, with AI mash ups on their way.

A quick waltz around the net, AI is doing all sorts, content writing, Lyric writing in the style of....., music, drawings and photo's.
Admittedly they are not very good at the minute but what we have learned from the demixing technology is that it will only get better.

Our future was supposed to flying cars and jet packs, I wonder what it will be like in 25 years.......
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:21 am I read in the news that Rolling Stone is now going to be using AI to write "parts" of some of their articles.

If a writer actually can't be bothered writing and feels he needs a computer to finish it for him then he is in the wrong profession! Aren't writers supposed to write because they enjoy it?

The RS owners seem to think this is a really good idea because it will allow more articles to be written... erm, how exactly? You mean that writers will get paid the same to write two articles instead of one because a machine helped them?

Also, if you let a machine do part of your job for you, then it's only a short matter of time before it replaces you altogether. Look at Faecebook News which is all written by bots.

The only way I can see all this ending well is if it forces musicians and writers to up their game. If a bot can do your job just as well as you can, then obviously you need to come up with something so good that it stands head and shoulders above the bots' output. Will this happen? Or will musos and writers and other artists all keep proceeding blindly towards their doom, giving more and more of their tasks over to bots until they are totally redundant and ripe for culling?
I used to work in journalism and I can guarantee you that writers do want to write and do enjoy it. Rolling Stone as the employer, is a business and for them, computers don't need wages so there's a benefit for them if they can get this off the ground. It's not the writer's call. I'll bet you the majority of writers they use are freelancers, including more famous names.

The outcome will be beneficical for Rolling Stone if they increase their margins by having lower up-front costs per issue. The writers will suffer loss of income. That's how capitalism works - the company will naturally be seeking to make profit as much possible, not to preserve some external concept like quality - so long as we keep buying it.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:21 am I read in the news that Rolling Stone is now going to be using AI to write "parts" of some of their articles.
Ah ha ha. Quite many articles written by actual writers could have been written by AI and no one would notice.

Like, a British journo of some name wrote in "Classic Rock" that Jim Morrison inserted a "guttural f*ck" in The Doors' song "L'America". The only problem is, there is only one Doors song with any kind of "f*ck" in it, and it certainly ain't guttural. And most surely it's not "L'America". A "f*ck" can be found within "When The Music's Over", and that's it.

And "Rolling Stone" IMO is the worst. I remember how they wrote that coal-to-gasoline process could have been used only in Nazi Germany, because it supposedly involves lots of manual (read: slave) labor. That was in some of their articles extolling the virtues of I don't remember who, probably Senator Kerry - surely they were rooting for the Dems.

Another gem was, the US forces during the Iraqi war employed special machines which moved along the Iraqi trenches and buried them alive under tonnes of rapidly moved desert sand. Millions of Iraqis supposedly found their untimely death this way, according to this rag. That was also read by me in some of their anti-Bush propaganda.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The supreme irony will be if the tech gods themselves become obsolete.

"Sorry Mr Zuckerberg, but the board members feel that it's much more cost efficient to let the new AI CEO software do your job."
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Potential future updates to Spotify:

A toggle switch next to each Beatles song, allowing you to change the vocalist. Listen to Yesterday with John, George or Ringo singing.

Or...

Have your entire song library sung by your favourite singer. Justin Bieber sings the Beatles catalogue, at the press of a button!

Oh, horror!