AI Drum Separation: Drumsep

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
sunnylew

Re: AI Drum Separation: Drumsep

Post by sunnylew »

I don’t think Ringo’s kit would ever sound right in stereo, but bands of the 70s and on with whole racks of tons - well I love a stereo walk around the kit then, but that music is so bombastic it suits it.

I’ll have to have a look at that separation, but the Lord is right: pulling them apart can cause all manner of problems. Like pulling separate notes of a riff apart.

Although I must say my experience has always been multitracks, where bleed was inevitable and anything you did to one piece of the kit had potential to mess up the page or tone of another part.

After extraction it must be a whole different beast, with everything totally separate.

Live, i liked to keep it simple and lean in to the bleed between mics. This was only ever in pubs, so you only needed a bit of reinforcement. I always preferred 1 mic on kick, an overhead shure SM57 centred and angled above and across the crash to the snare, and another centred and angled to the hi hat. You could add a little where it was needed and let the room and the drummer do the rest.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The only good use for this app would be to fix instances where one of the drums is badly recorded, say, if the tom toms are too faint.

In the 70s there was a big fad for panning drums but I find those mixes even more annoying than the Beatles mixes with drums all on one side. You'll also get pianos miked in wide stereo too, which sounds stupid because no one listens to a piano with their head stuck in it. Listening to most of the modern mixes around now, they are very monocentric with very little directionality but a lot of ambience. You'll get stuff off to the sides a bit, but generally most of it seems to be towards the centre these days. Personally i think that is going a bit far, and with Fabracadabra I usually tried to group the drums, bass and lead vocal round the centre and have the peripheral parts off to the sides. That way you get full stereo but with plenty of oomph.

Sorry I'm wandering off topic again. Been doing that a lot lately......
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
sunnylew

Post by sunnylew »

I've had a go with drumsep using the google colabs link (the second option)

It looks like the actual model was shared from a google drive, but the link isn't valid anymore - or the authorisations have changed.

There've been queries for about a month about the problem, but no replies from the creator.

At least so far as I can see, it's a non starter, which is disappointing.
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

Somebody reuploaded the model on the demucs repository's issue. I tried it. Not bad, but not mind blowing either. I haven't compared to nmftdrums yet.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I haven't come across any algorithms that give good drum seps of the quality heard in Peter Jackson's MAL demo. usually it doesn't matter if you're only demixing because the artefacts cancel out when the stems are mixed together again, but for mashups it matters a lot. I pulled the drums out of Glad All Over (Beatles) and edited it to make a drum track for Hey Good Looking. I then added what I imagined the Beatles would have played on that song, but while playing along with Ringo is fantastic fun, the drums just don't sound good enough to make it work. That was using UVR Drum Model. Has anyone ever found something of MAL quality?
Last edited by Lord Reith on Wed May 10, 2023 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

I think drums in stereo is best if you just play with the stereo picture of the room ambience. After all the true sound would be the studio ambience anyway, otherwise it's just reverb and echo. mic too close to drums and you sound just as crappy as modern music that sounds like the drums are tin cans.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

If you want it to be like they are playing in front of you, pan things as they would be if you were facing them
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

Looks interesting. I'll have to test it out when I get the chance. I've been really busy with work and stuff lately.
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
Tex

Post by Tex »

I tried getting the Anaconda, Python, Demucs stuff installed on a Windows 7 computer and apparently it's not compatible. I looked up various solutions none work. I think it comes down to not being able to fully update Windows 7 since it is not supported anymore.

I'm not going to get a third computer with Windows 11 either. :cry:

Some smart person needs to build a simple GUI (graphical user interface) for us less code-savvy people. JavaScript and HTML/CSS is the most code I can do.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

There's usually Colab versions of all these python apps (there's definitely one for demucs). If you go to github there is often a link to the colab version next to the other versions.

Just sign in with your gmail name if you have one, save the Colab page to your own google drive and then execute all the cells one by one by pressing the little play button icons on the left. Then follow the prompts.