The Demixers' Playbook: What To Do Once You Have Your Stems?

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Bianju

The Demixers' Playbook: What To Do Once You Have Your Stems?

Post by Bianju »

Basically, I'm in the middle of two separate demix-focused projects. One is an attempt to make a higher-quality simulation of the UA production acetate for Help!, and the other is a new stereo remix of the film songs. I am very green to demixing, but have been having good luck with using Demucs and inverting to remove parts of some mixes (so for example, the overdubbed guitar during the intro to The Night Before). For the mono side of the project, this has been perfect. But for the stereo side, I'm now curious what the steps are to isolate stems further. Mainly, of course, I'm curious about the process of separating guitars. On Help!, I'm trying to attempt something similar to Reith where the acoustic guitar is left and the electric fills are on the right. I'm mostly trying to achieve this separation cleanly to try and be able to replicate the double-track guitar fills from the 2006 remix. If anyone has some advice about how they've achieved this in the past (especially as things like vocal separation and whatnot become staples on this site), it would be much appreciated. Thanks!