Bluray Writer - Downgrade firmware ??

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
journeyman

Bluray Writer - Downgrade firmware ??

Post by journeyman »

I have an LG (BD-RE-BH 16NS40) internal BluRay writer on my Windows 10 system and it usually runs like dream.
Lately though it hasn’t been able to load or recognise BluRay discs or play them. It does however recognise DVD and cd formats.
I know Windows often updates in the background and wondered if any recent changes may have caused some conflict?
I’ve also been told, that to play (or decrypt) UHD discs I need to downgrade my firmware – I’ve had a quick look at this online, but I’m not particularly tech-savvy and not sur how to go about it, safely and hopefully at no cost.
I’ve tried updating the driver, but it says I have the latest version, so I’m not quite sure how best to proceed. I know a few people have had problems with Windows 10 and dvd-roms.
I’ve only had the BluRay writer for about 2 years, so hopefully not faulty.
Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.

(PS: was trying to load the ‘Get Back’ bluray)
Kusaywa

Re: Bluray Writer - Downgrade firmware ??

Post by Kusaywa »

Usually, Windows doesn't update firmware, only drivers. Possibly an updated driver is causing the problem. There is an option in device manager to roll back driver if it was updated. Additionally, Windows doesn't play Blu-Ray natively, what software are you using? If it's been working, I'm afraid it may be the drive has gone bad.
Edit: There also appears to be 3 firmware versions here, you could try updating it or downgrading it as a last ditch effort, may help?
https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/l ... 40.AVAR10B
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Thank you Kusaywa, much appreciated
I followed the link and tried to re-intall an earlier firmware - but there is no way to overwrite it it seems?
It says you a running a higher spec and there appears to be no way to over-rule that action.
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

It can be done... you need patched firmware. Look at the forums for MakeMKV -- in particular this thread:
forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113

If you need assistance feel free to PM me.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

FestVideoRoom wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:54 pm It can be done... you need patched firmware. Look at the forums for MakeMKV -- in particular this thread:

Thank you so much for this - I did stumble across something like this yesterday and was trying to have a go, but kept getting an 'error' - although to be fair, I'm not sure I was doing it correctly. I'll have another try early next week as I'm away this weekend.... I need an 'Idiots Guide' as to how to proceed lol - Thanks for your response, much appreciated
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

FestVideoRoom wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:54 pm It can be done... you need patched firmware. Look at the forums for MakeMKV -- in particular this thread:

Definitely in need of assistance :-) Have Pm you