AI for track separation

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
skynet

AI for track separation

Post by skynet »

Gents

In your experience, what is the best commercial AI for track separation? i am doing some experiments using moses with the Candlestick 66 concert but so far i am not quite pleased with the results, but are there any other techs out there? i did some research and nothing convinces me, so of what you guys been using, what is your recommendation? i am planning on purchase/pay for a suscription on it (i already cancelled the moses one) but i am doing my "research" first

Thanks in advance
Gringo557

Re: AI for track separation

Post by Gringo557 »

skynet wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:07 pm Gents

In your experience, what is the best commercial AI for track separation? i am doing some experiments using moses with the Candlestick 66 concert but so far i am not quite pleased with the results, but are there any other techs out there? i did some research and nothing convinces me, so of what you guys been using, what is your recommendation? i am planning on purchase/pay for a suscription on it (i already cancelled the moses one) but i am doing my "research" first

Thanks in advance
Hopefully you're using the best version of the Candlestick performance; there is a good tape out there courtesy of Tony Barrow but I have heard some bootleg versions that are terrible. I'd love to hear what you've come up with :D

skynet

Post by skynet »

Gringo557 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:21 pm
skynet wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:07 pm Gents

In your experience, what is the best commercial AI for track separation? i am doing some experiments using moses with the Candlestick 66 concert but so far i am not quite pleased with the results, but are there any other techs out there? i did some research and nothing convinces me, so of what you guys been using, what is your recommendation? i am planning on purchase/pay for a subscription on it (i already cancelled the moses one) but i am doing my "research" first

Thanks in advance
Hopefully you're using the best version of the Candlestick performance; there is a good tape out there courtesy of Tony Barrow but I have heard some bootleg versions that are terrible. I'd love to hear what you've come up with :D
Thanks, i am working with the PC version of the concert, not sure the source of your YT Video, but, is the same? also as an alternative source i am using the Spank CD

In Any case, i am still doing some due diligence on which AI tech i should use, i already did tried something and I've been working on it since 2 years ago (actually i shared my initial experiments here, more or less around that time), not good or perfect by any means, since then i had tried different software and tech but still far from my expected results (and i know the Candlestick source does not help) i already have the full concert remixed in stereo but, as i said i am not pleased with the results, i think it still needs a lot of work, hence my question, to check how far the tech has reached since i began, when i have something i consider quality acceptable for this forum (which for me held high standards on this topic) i will publish it, at least as a first full draft

Regards
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

The "good versions" of the Candlestick tape are actually better than one would think. You can hear the vocals, guitars and drums. It also has that "stadium" sound with cool feedback coming from the guitar amps after a song ends. Paul sings some beautiful background Indian flourishes during "If I Needed Someone," and you can hear the echo coming over the loudspeakers. They knew it was the last show and played it pretty well. I had a friend who was there . . . stereo, huh? Interesting. When you're ready to release your mix I'll be more than happy to listen to it. :D
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

There's no echo on the original Candlestick tape - that was added in post production by a bootlegger. The raw dry cassette version is available on the Purple Chick live set.

There was a recent bootleg that claimed to be transferred from the original tape, but this was the bootlegger's echo-added tape, not the original cassette.

Probably the best bet is to go through some of the algorithms in turn on mvsep.com In particular Demucs3 A and B, UnmixXL, and UVR. They can each grab things that the other misses.
skynet

Post by skynet »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:03 pm There's no echo on the original Candlestick tape - that was added in post production by a bootlegger. The raw dry cassette version is available on the Purple Chick live set.

There was a recent bootleg that claimed to be transferred from the original tape, but this was the bootlegger's echo-added tape, not the original cassette.

Probably the best bet is to go through some of the algorithms in turn on mvsep.com In particular Demucs3 A and B, UnmixXL, and UVR. They can each grab things that the other misses.
Thanks for the advice dear Lord, i will try those and if succesfull i will share :)

thanks again LR as always insightful and right on point, i knew and was sure that using PC version will be the right way at least for now :)

Regards
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

skynet wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:17 am thanks again LR as always insightful and right on point, i knew and was sure that using PC version will be the right way at least for now :)

Regards
No worries. And of course it makes more sense to use the dry version as a starting point, because then you can add the echo in stereo in the final mix if you want. Personally I actually like the echo, it sounds kind of psychedelic even if it's not real. It might work a lot better in stereo too.