Extracting Audio from MKV files

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
rfwood1

Extracting Audio from MKV files

Post by rfwood1 »

I have mkv files of the "Get Back" video and I've heard a few segments of audio which I'd like to extract. I was unsure of how it would come out, but I tried it using Audacity, just to see if I was on the right track. Of course, the resulting wav file sounded like crap. Can anybody explain how this can be done ion order to get a decent sounding end result?

Thanx in advance!
dylanoscar

Re: Extracting Audio from MKV files

Post by dylanoscar »

rfwood1 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:08 pm I have mkv files of the "Get Back" video and I've heard a few segments of audio which I'd like to extract. I was unsure of how it would come out, but I tried it using Audacity, just to see if I was on the right track. Of course, the resulting wav file sounded like crap. Can anybody explain how this can be done ion order to get a decent sounding end result?

Thanx in advance!
Try with Format Factory 5.11.0.0
rfwood1

Post by rfwood1 »

Thanx! I'll look into it...
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

Wondershare Converter Pro on an Apple computer. I'm starting to like MKV files just for simple playback.
Davenicks

Post by Davenicks »

For most video file formats, you can load them into Adobe Audition and then save the audio as a wav, flac, mp3, etc. Sound great.

Dave in Nashville
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

With ffmpeg, command line with the command

for %%i in (*.mkv) do ffmpeg -i "%%i" "%%~ni.wav"

You can change "mkv" in that example to any other filetype you want to convert, so for example
for %%i in (*.wmv) do ffmpeg -i "%%i" "%%~ni.wav"
etc

It'll convert all the files in the folder, which is useful for batch conversion, so only have files in the folder that you wish to convert because it'll convert them all.
Last edited by Egg_Crisis on Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

If you can find the "true" DVD files (VIDEO_TS folder), you will get better results with apps like "DVD Audio Extractor" in Mac as the application will use the chapters to split the audio files. Files will be extracted in FLAC.
Yves
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Audacity can open any audio files contained in a video. You need to install the ffmpeg plugin though. Then when you import a video it will prompt you as to which audio streams you want. It will ignore the video.

If you want the audio in its original format then you demux it into separate audio and video streams with something like ts MuxerGUI
rfwood1

Post by rfwood1 »

My thanks to all for these suggestions. I tried each one of these ideas and the one that worked out easiest for my feeble mind was to add the ffmpeg plug in and go through Audacity. Again, thanks for all of your help!