mkv to dvd

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
jackb

mkv to dvd

Post by jackb »

I'm old school and not too tech savvy. I like to sit on my couch and watch DVDs, not sit at my PC. What's an easy no fail way to burn a DVD from mkv videos that have been appearing here.

Thanks in advance for your help, Jack
InnerLight

Re: mkv to dvd

Post by InnerLight »

Pretty much any DVD authoring program. The only question will be do you have to convert the mkv to MPEG2 720x480 beforehand or will that software do it for you on the fly.
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

I personally like

Convert X to DVD (slower processing, but you can configure more options)

and DVDFab works well, too (faster)

any DVD authoring that will accept MKV works just as well.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

millerTEK wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:59 pm I personally like

When you use DVDFab can you convert the MKV back to Video_TS?
Yves
paulramon

Post by paulramon »

On the flip side, does anyone have an easy way to convert an entire VIDEO_TS folder to a single .MP4 on a Mac?
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

paulramon wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:31 am On the flip side, does anyone have an easy way to convert an entire VIDEO_TS folder to a single .MP4 on a Mac?
Wondershare Uniconverter does a good job
Yves
paulramon

Post by paulramon »

Thanks, Yves. I'll check it out.

yymca6 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:49 am
paulramon wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:31 am On the flip side, does anyone have an easy way to convert an entire VIDEO_TS folder to a single .MP4 on a Mac?
Wondershare Uniconverter does a good job
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

yymca6 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:01 pm
millerTEK wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:59 pm I personally like

When you use DVDFab can you convert the MKV back to Video_TS?
Yes - basically by using the option Create a DVD/BD, select the mkv as the source file - set your chapters and menus, and the result is an authored dvd/BD. The BD option is an add-on, but same concept. Video_TS is just the authored DVD video folder with the indexes and video chapters as VOBs..
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

You can also just buy a media player and plug it into your tv and it'll play it. Or if your tv has a usb socket it may play it from a usb.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I take my laptop (and my myriad portable drives) into my theatre room. Plug the laptop into my receiver with HDMI cable. Open VLC player. Drop mkv file into VLC player. Et Voila! Picture on the 82" screen. Sound coming out of my surround system. Some minor EQ with VLC, if needed. Plus, if it's out of synch, VLC lets you adjust that to bring it in synch.

I totally understand the notion of having a DVD, though. No qualms with it. I, however, prefer the instant gratification route of just plugging in, plus the malleability of making adjustments to suit my taste.

Last night, I watched a Kiss concert from 1977 in Tokyo, which was awesome. Rock And Roll Over Tour. Totally my bag of Kiss. Afterwards, to kind of come down from the Kiss high, I watched the first half of the 1986 Conspiracy Of Hope Concert put on by Amnesty International at Giants Stadium. Watching the Miles Davis set. Watching Carlos Santana plugging in and jamming with that band for the final tune. The smiles on their faces. I think even Miles cracked a smile. Off camera, of course.

My archive, which I will never be able to watch in its entirety, does not lend itself to DVD production. I simply do not have the space to store it all that way. The purpose of such a deep archive, is to be able to pull stuff out of the hat when guests come over that suits their preference. The other night it was Robin Trower. Before that it was Beatles at Candlestick (I think it was one of Adam's) followed by Beatles At Budokan. And the closer that night was a romp through Steely Dan.