Remixers of BeatlegDB: What are your favorite softwares/plugins?

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Bianju

Remixers of BeatlegDB: What are your favorite softwares/plugins?

Post by Bianju »

Hi everybody. Been super into amateur audio mixing lately, and have been obviously interested in Beatles-related mixes. I was curious, for the people here indulging in mono to stereo conversions, improved mixes of dull acetates, or even just straight up remasters... How Do You Do It? I've been using Audacity for most everything, although I have more recently been branching out to Adobe Audition (mostly for the stereo image expander and center channel extractor), but I'm curious to know what the evil geniuses around here use. Thanks in advance. :D
Lord Reith

Re: Remixers of BeatlegDB: What are your favorite softwares/plugins?

Post by Lord Reith »

You can try Demucs3 type B. It is a command line program but there is also a web version here: mvsep.com The same site has other programs but that is the best one, followed closely by UVR.

Of course that will only give you the stems. What you do with them is entirely up to you.
Bianju

Post by Bianju »

Thank you for that recommendation! Already very impressed with my initial experiments.
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

Bianju wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:47 am Hi everybody. Been super into amateur audio mixing lately, and have been obviously interested in Beatles-related mixes. I was curious, for the people here indulging in mono to stereo conversions, improved mixes of dull acetates, or even just straight up remasters... How Do You Do It? I've been using Audacity for most everything, although I have more recently been branching out to Adobe Audition (mostly for the stereo image expander and center channel extractor), but I'm curious to know what the evil geniuses around here use. Thanks in advance. :D
For remastering audio, I like to use Adobe Audition 14.0. It's got some nice tools. For mixing, I like to use Audacity. It lays out the tracks very simple and I'm able to pan them quicker than in Audition. For something like, for example, making a Beach Boys SMiLE Mix, I like using the multitrack function on Audition. I'm able to stretch the tracks out & crossfade & things like that.
Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:29 am You can try Demucs3 type B. It is a command line program but there is also a web version here: mvsep.com The same site has other programs but that is the best one, followed closely by UVR.
That's where I get my multis from. I find that it works better with the tracks if you separate & render the two stereo channels in Audition, then put each individual channel in Demucs. It works miracles on PPM and WTB!
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
Tex

Post by Tex »

Really should not be any digital manipulations beyond spectral extraction, EQ and select compression.

When I hear "plugins" all I think about are those awful fake ADT and soundstage smearing plugins Giles Martin messes everything up with.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

RalseiDeltarune wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:22 pmI find that it works better with the tracks if you separate & render the two stereo channels in Audition, then put each individual channel in Demucs.
Yes, I've found that too. Never input stereo tracks unless it is something where they are inherently related, like strings recorded with a stereo microphone setup.

I've not done any demixing lately because I am sick of doing all the work and then finding out the algorithms have improved drastically two weeks later. I'll wait a good long while this time. When I think back to Phonic Mind... well, it was a joke. But at the time it seemed staggeringly good. I suppose we'll feel that way about Demucs3 one day. It'll be like one of those old blip-blip tennis games.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

TV Pong!!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Ziggy C wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:26 pmTV Pong!!
That bloody thing was everywhere. I remember at the bowling alley, they had tv screens built into the tables in the cafe so visitors could play Pong while they ate.

I was a pinball player, so I hated the thing on principle.