Can you join MKV files together without losing quality?

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
journeyman

Can you join MKV files together without losing quality?

Post by journeyman »

I have a small collection of music clips that are MKV files - I'd like to join them together to make one file that I could watch, probably in about a half hour length
I don't want to re-encode anything or lose any quality from the original files, just wondered if there was a quick and easy piece of software that might do the trick?
Thanks in advance :-)
jeffpeabodyskeys

Re: Can you join MKV files together without losing quality?

Post by jeffpeabodyskeys »

I like to use MKVToolNix.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

jeffpeabodyskeys wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:45 pm I like to use MKVToolNix.
Thank you jeffpeabodyskeys, I'll give that a try - much appreciated
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

If they are the same frame size, frame rate and compatible... yes. If not, no.

Beware of MKVToolNix though. It has a fatal flaw which has snagged many an unsuspecting user. All the files you are joining *must* be on your computer's drive. If you import or export using an external drive, some of the mkvs will have a fault which means that they stop playing suddenly part way through and cannot be demuxed or repaired. Often the person doesn't realise this until weeks, months, years later when the original files are long gone.

Personally I use AVI demux to join compatible video fragments. You open the first video, then use Cntrl + A to add each new segment. Then save in the "copy" mode.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:19 am If they are the same frame size, frame rate and compatible... yes. If not, no.

Beware of MKVToolNix though. It has a fatal flaw which has snagged many an unsuspecting user. All the files you are joining *must* be on your computer's drive. If you import or export using an external drive, some of the mkvs will have a fault which means that they stop playing suddenly part way through and cannot be demuxed or repaired. Often the person doesn't realise this until weeks, months, years later when the original files are long gone.

Personally I use AVI demux to join compatible video fragments. You open the first video, then use Cntrl + A to add each new segment. Then save in the "copy" mode.
Thank you for your 'words of wisdom' Lord Reith, your expertise is much appreciated - I'll give AVI demux a try - :-)