Is there any demixing software like this?

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Lord Reith

Is there any demixing software like this?

Post by Lord Reith »

Instead of the 'dumb' AI demixers the world is awash with today, which constantly pick the wrong instrument to extract... is there some software where I can just enter the melody so that it knows what to look for?

Surely this must be straightforward stuff? Why can't I just record, for instance, George's harmony in This Boy on a keyboard and the software uses that file to tell it what specific notes to look for?

Are there any coders here who would know how to implement something like that? It would allow us to create lovely stereo spreads of all their harmony vocals.
bobzilla

Re: Is there any demixing software like this?

Post by bobzilla »

I haven't done any audio programming, so I can speak specifically to that, but I feel like this is probably a "Have the computer pick the pictures with birds in them" kind of wishlist item. It's simple to say. Simple for a human to do. But nearly impossible to code.

That's theoretically where AI comes in. But AI is still code, so the specific AI is only as good as it was coded.

So to answer your question... I don't know.
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

bobzilla wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:50 pm I haven't done any audio programming, so I can speak specifically to that, but I feel like this is probably a "Have the computer pick the pictures with birds in them" kind of wishlist item. It's simple to say. Simple for a human to do. But nearly impossible to code.

That's theoretically where AI comes in. But AI is still code, so the specific AI is only as good as it was coded.

So to answer your question... I don't know.
What about this one. Have an empty Sgt Pepper sleeve- find me the music? :lol:

A nice weekend all FAB4 connoisseurs

Regards
ATN
Whats in that jar on your shelf? Tar?
No...its liquid Vinyl for making my dream collection.

The one with the Golden lid too?
Thats exclusive for Lord Reiths stuff
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

If humans could sing perfectly, that would be a start, but the imperfections in the voice make that difficult as well as the waveform changing every time the voice changes syllable.

Currently when music is demixed it removes the sound and leave a hole where that sound was, so everything in the same frequency gets separated. Sound, when intertwined with many other things is far too complex for computers to simply separate anything you like. I think it will come, but we aren't there yet.

At the moment Bass is easy - not a lot other than bass in the low frequencies of a track, Drums - Look for the transients - Another easy thing. Vocals as a whole have their own characteristics that allow them to be separates quite well - although no matter what software, I find these are stll the most likely to have 'artefacts'. On the rare occasion I separate vocals I never take out all the background, I leave in s small amount as this seems to help. Once again, the human ear has to make the decision about what is best. It's subjective, so difficult for even AI computers to understand.
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

U shall Not Mock Lord Reith!

One who makes/cut out Masters by the yard, Do havethe right to have the tools :P aquired

Quite naturally when he fullfils our outmost request from old scratchy tracks, he has the right to demand the scripts/software he prefers. :)

So You pogramming lot GET Started!

In due respect to all involved

Regards
ATN

BDJ

Post by BDJ »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:11 am Instead of the 'dumb' AI demixers the world is awash with today, which constantly pick the wrong instrument to extract... is there some software where I can just enter the melody so that it knows what to look for?

Surely this must be straightforward stuff? Why can't I just record, for instance, George's harmony in This Boy on a keyboard and the software uses that file to tell it what specific notes to look for?

Are there any coders here who would know how to implement something like that? It would allow us to create lovely stereo spreads of all their harmony vocals.
Sure, this is possible in MAGIX Spectralayers Pro. And I assume in similar packages as well.

You would record the vocal melody from midi into a 'wav' type signal (available in several softwares) and insert it into a song in Spectralayers. You would then select this signal and its Harmonics (available in Spectralayers), cut it, paste it into a separate track, and Bob's your uncle.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Bazilnerk wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:50 pm If humans could sing perfectly, that would be a start, but the imperfections in the voice make that difficult as well as the waveform changing every time the voice changes syllable.

Currently when music is demixed it removes the sound and leave a hole where that sound was, so everything in the same frequency gets separated. Sound, when intertwined with many other things is far too complex for computers to simply separate anything you like. I think it will come, but we aren't there yet.

At the moment Bass is easy - not a lot other than bass in the low frequencies of a track, Drums - Look for the transients - Another easy thing. Vocals as a whole have their own characteristics that allow them to be separates quite well - although no matter what software, I find these are stll the most likely to have 'artefacts'. On the rare occasion I separate vocals I never take out all the background, I leave in s small amount as this seems to help. Once again, the human ear has to make the decision about what is best. It's subjective, so difficult for even AI computers to understand.
okay, I don't really understand how spectral demixing works (if I'm honest, I haven't a frigging clue) but certainly the latest algorithms like Demucs3 are frighteningly good. All they seem to require to me is a little human guidance. For instance, UVR can sort of separate two harmonies in a close harmony vocal like She Loves You. But it constantly gets its wires crossed, so you end up with two different tracks with bits of each. What I want is some way to tell it which notes belong to which singer. Surely that is doable?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

BDJ wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:06 pm Sure, this is possible in MAGIX Spectralayers Pro
That sounds expensive...
You would record the vocal melody from midi into a 'wav' type signal (available in several softwares) and insert it into a song in Spectralayers. You would then select this signal and its Harmonics (available in Spectralayers), cut it, paste it into a separate track, and Bob's your uncle.
Okay, I can provide the wave file of the melody. Now is there someone out there with deep pockets who has Spectralayers Pro who can actually do the job? I don't use warez so there is no possibility of me doing it myself.

Even if SL spits out a harmony vocal with other instruments mixed in, you could maybe stick that thru UVR or Demucs and get a clean harmony part.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild the mix. We have the technology. We have the Meccano set. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

AllTogetherNow wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:52 pm U shall Not Mock Lord Reith!
And don't you bloody forget it! :P
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:51 am
AllTogetherNow wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:52 pm U shall Not Mock Lord Reith!
And don't you bloody forget it! :P
Are U adressing me Sir :cry:

Remember I wrote the statement :)

My best regards
ATN