Storage - Local and Cloud

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Kwai Chang

Re: Storage - Local and Cloud

Post by Kwai Chang »

Wait until DMCA starts making sweeps through the 'parking lot' to cite all expired tags or fake handicap placards!
I won't be there.
I realize that can happen anywhere.
(Heil, Windows!!!)
KC
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

sam004 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:53 pm Yeah thanks to you maniacs here.
It's like drinking from a fire hose :)

Future forum member in training:

Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I have portable 4 and 5tb drives. I also have a 14tb drive, about to get another as backup. And multiple redundancies which arise from accumulating so much stuff in short periods of time. I use NeoFinder to archive and make it easier to search for stuff, though, so it is never really lost.

Don't rely too much on whichever drive you choose. Make sure you have a backup.

As for the Cloud?...(sounds of prolonged and anguished retching with nary a splash....that'd be a dry heave, folks....)
"F" the cloud. If there's something you really cherish, keep it with you. Don't trust the technology that begs you to trust it.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

Big Brother monitoring every sexual encounter might be the problem that solves itself.

Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Ziggy C wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:57 pm As for the Cloud?...(sounds of prolonged and anguished retching with nary a splash....that'd be a dry heave, folks....)
"F" the cloud. If there's something you really cherish, keep it with you. Don't trust the technology that begs you to trust it.
If you love something, never let go of it!
If it never leaves your possession...it's yours.
If it tries to escape, destroy it...it probably wasn't worth keeping anyway. <------(intentional fakery)
Fleeting permanence: Years to fill...seconds to kill! <------(Accidental fakery)
rtbcIII wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:05 pm Big Brother monitoring every sexual encounter might be the problem that solves itself.
(Curtains not included?)
"Not in the cloud...I'm saving that for the girl I marry"

I want to tell you about passive dominance and the big beat!!!
KC
sternla

Post by sternla »

All hard drives will eventually fail.
The IT rule of thumb is that you really should have 2 backups
One of those should be off site.
What if you have a theft or a fire etc.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

”All hard drives will eventually fail.“

Ditto all coffeemakers, bulldozers, hang gliders, Porsches, pencil sharpeners, boxer shorts, et. al. Indeed, everything made by humans. Not to mention actual humans themselves.

And not to sound too cynical, but having worked in and around this business for 40 years the real IT rule of thumb is more like ”always be creating more work for yourself.“

Which isn't to opine against backups, just obnoxious, self-serving corporate propaganda that's not so much interested in the integrity of your data as it is greasing their own bottom line. Do you suppose Apple killed the iPod because it became unpopular? Or because pushing everything on to The Cloud was more profitable? At the end of the day it's a matter of trust - and the Cloud Cartel lost mine a long, long time ago.

Personally, I started using the buddy system a decade ago. Have a friend with similar tastes, so every six months or so we exchange a portable HD filled with our latest downloads. Granted, that might not work for everyone. But I know others who do similar exchanges via the mail.

Or, you could just trust this guy.

Last edited by rtbcIII on Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

sternla wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:46 am All hard drives will eventually fail.
The IT rule of thumb is that you really should have 2 backups
One of those should be off site.
What if you have a theft or a fire etc.
That is what I usually did, but I have so much Beatles stuff that my 3 portable HD (the backups) don't fit in my my current safety box at the bank.

I guess i should get a new bigger one...
Yves
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

Adding new drives is not only better, but also offers the miracle of significantly cutting the cost of storage. Just bought some 8 TB drives to consolidate/back-up, and they were the same price (or less!) as the decade-old 1 and 2 TB HDs they're replacing.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

It took me over a year to fill a 3TB Toshiba External...and it took two seconds to knock it off the shelf onto the carpet...I could tell by looking, it was dead. Within 15 minutes, I realized that I couldn't remember what was on it. I could only remember the past few downloads. Even though it was mostly HiRez files (800 MB per LP?) instead of MP3@320 equivalents...I was confident that I probably wasn't ever going to play most of them. The external hard drive is a gimmick. It will be discontinued. The industry will all be cloud-based but not before the returns have been fully realized. Incredibly, The Beatles will likely be the prime selling point for a realm that could be more enjoyable than Disneyland!. Screw Netflix and Hulu or YouTube. The Beatles Cloud will be immersive with hundreds of interface options. Cut, stretch, bend, burn, and extract a modern version of alchemy with a comprehensive audio library and modern and vintage 'equipment'. Bootlegs, LIVE concerts, fan-made, outtakes, official, mono, stereo, Quad, surround, atmos, will all be available, bendable, savable. There will be galleries of featured visitors/members creations, recipes, formulas, and more for public review, purchase, competition, educational workshops, tips, facts, myths all for purchase, subscription or maybe a virtual classroom with Giles as instructor. There will be a Graphics section of the Beatles Cloud. All known photos, All known manipulation platforms and the same interactive clinics for typesetting, printing, FX, etc. Ditto at Video/film. Ditto at periodicals, books, Sotheby's, Who's Who, Sidebars and a lot more. It will be trackable(serialized) and in reality will be useful to outside entities for non musical pursuits. It will be so cheap that NOBODY can resist the temptation. And, if that ain't enough...you can't drop it and there is no need to remember what's on it. The servers might even be exploited as tourist attractions. There is no limit for marketing potential. It seems like a foolproof ploy that is devoid of risk. But, that is why I like the group to begin with. 62 years and I'm not jaded. If that turns out to be sustainable on a general playing field, then all bets are off. USB ports might not be needed.
Peace, friends!
Everything leads back to The Beatles!
KC
Last edited by Kwai Chang on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.