Is Everyone Now Using PNG files for Artwork?

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
RunoutGroove

Is Everyone Now Using PNG files for Artwork?

Post by RunoutGroove »

I'm still on Windows 8.1 because I balked against W.10. My laptop does not open PNG files from the artwork posted with recent files. JPEGS are fine. Is there a way to change them? I use 7zip to open stuff. Any Advice welcome :geek:
mojofilter

Re: Is Everyone Now Using PNG files for Artwork?

Post by mojofilter »

I use PNG because it is lossless compression for images. JPEG is compressed, so I avoid using it unless it's necessary. I'm sorry, I'm unaware of Windows operating systems past 7 that do not recognize it.

I thought I would edit to say that PNG is the equivalent of FLAC for .wav files. It is the same quality as a .BMP file but compressed in lossless fashion, the same as FLAC files, where when you view a PNG file, it is in the same resolution as a BMP would be, except smaller in filesize.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

RunoutGroove wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:50 am I'm still on Windows 8.1 because I balked against W.10. My laptop does not open PNG files from the artwork posted with recent files. JPEGS are fine. Is there a way to change them? I use 7zip to open stuff. Any Advice welcome :geek:
Are you trying to open them with Windows Photo Viewer?

It is the default program in 7, 8.1 and 10 and it supports JPEG, TIFF, PNG, GIF, BMP, DIB, and WDP file formats.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

PNG is a lossless format but smaller than bitmaps so that's why I use it.

You can convert them to JPG with Photoscape (free) in 'batch editor' mode.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

Thanks very much mojofilter, ianbuckers and LR. Got Windows photo to open it successfully. Don't know why I am getting that annoying message 'cannot open file.' I can see why some are using PNG, the resolution is superior. Funny thing is, when I run them through my blu ray player to the TV, they work fine.
Thanks guys.