obertinc

Google Drive Downloads - FAIL while zipping

Post by obertinc »

Mac / Mojave
Firefox
Safari
Google Chrome
VPN enabled / disabled

For about a week now, I'm unable to download any Google Drive files that involve the Google file zipping action.
From the file listing on Google Drive, I click on the "Download" icon, the Google popup comes up showing that the file is being zipped, the circular progress indicator advances (to various states of completeness), and then I get a message in that popup saying "Zip Failed".

I've tried using the 3 web browsers listed above (all up to date), and I've also tried with my VPN enabled (various locations) and disabled.

Always get the same result ... "Zip Failed" / no download.

If I go into the parent folder for the item I'm trying to download, and select an individual file to download, I am able to get that one file (because no .zip file is generated by Google / my web browser).

I've been able to download from Google Drive for years without issue, and don't think this problem has anything to do with my gear or software, as the failure appears to occur when Google is tasked with .zip file creation pre-download.

Any help is appreciated ... I'm stumped, and also surprised no one else is encountering this issue.

1.png
1.png (12.01 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
2.png
2.png (11.25 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Last edited by obertinc on Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venus and Mars

Re: Google Drive Downloads - FAIL while zipping

Post by Venus and Mars »

same thing, you need to connect to google for it to work!
Mrbeatleg

Post by Mrbeatleg »

have you tried clearing the cache in the browser?
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

Google Drive Downloads - FAIL while zipping
Second that

Same here since a week ago. CAHCHE is not a problem maybe Cash not meaning Johhny..... :lol:

All due regards

ATN
Whats in that jar on your shelf? Tar?
No...its liquid Vinyl for making my dream collection.

The one with the Golden lid too?
Thats exclusive for Lord Reiths stuff
obertinc

Post by obertinc »

Mrbeatleg wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:08 pm have you tried clearing the cache in the browser?
Yes, completely cleared all history, cookies, saved logins, etc.

I should also mention that I have a Google Drive account, but I am not logged in. The reason I am not logged in is because when I attempt to login, I'm sent a security verification email with a code to enter. I agree with this security measure, and enter the 6-digit code from the email into the appropriate field on the webpage, but then another window appears asking for my phone number (I haven't enabled Google's 2-step verification, so I don't understand why this is required). I do not want Google to have my phone number, and there doesn't appear to be any way to get around this, so no login.

While attempting to download individual files within the parent directory, this popup appeared (another reminder that Google makes a fortune selling user data):

3.png
3.png (15.18 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
kingkenneth 2

Post by kingkenneth 2 »

i've been getting exactly the same problem. it happens if i'm logged in or not. i've cleared the caches etc. and it still happens.
the only way i found to download dvds from google drive is to download the individual files in the video_ts folder one at a time, which can be a pain depending on the size of the dvd. recently i tried 6 times (at different times of the day) to download a dvd and in the end i gave up.
this only happens with google drive all other platforms work fine. i just can't work out how to get it to work.
Mrbeatleg

Post by Mrbeatleg »

I can say it works fine if you sign in to google
misterclaudel

Post by misterclaudel »

I was getting the same problem so I would highlight the stuff to DL and get the link from it and put it in my JDownloader....most of the time it worked....sometimes it was worth a shot.
6thbeatle

Post by 6thbeatle »

Same problem here.

I've followed all the instructions I've found online for this problem. Clear cache. Allow 3rd party cookies for drive.google.com I've different versions of Windows OS and also Linux. I've tried different browsers. Zilch. Nothing works.

I expect that many people will be very happy if anyone is able to post a solution!

Since this is my first post - wonderful site of our favourite band!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It's probably because your privacy settings are too strict for Google's liking. They want to know everything about you, so if they think your browser is stopping them from spying on you they break functionality (without telling you, of course. They leave it to you to figure out.)