Question about Mega

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
onemojofilter

Question about Mega

Post by onemojofilter »

I've never attempted to get an account with Mega basically I guess because I was apprehensive about a service outside of the US that might record what I'm downloading or uploading and associating it with my name, etc.

Call it paranoia I guess.

My question is: if I should get an account and pay for service, A) would that make the downloads faster and B) are there any privacy concerns I should know about?

Does anyone have experience with this and can address these questions for me? I'd ask Mega but of course, they're motivated for me to get an account so there's that.

Thanks
My opinions are my own, but, my dog tends to agree with everything I say.
powerPC

Re: Question about Mega

Post by powerPC »

I'm not even close to being an expert on Mega, but I use it here and there. I didn't pay for the account "upgrade" so I guess you could say I'm using the basic "free" version? I went through all the steps to create account, except I chose not to do any of the paid plans they were offering; I'm still able to upload files to it... according to the app, I have up to 50gb available to use (although I have my doubts about how much I can actually keep on there, since I'm not paying for it). So long story short, you can use it without paying anything.

As for privacy, I don't have a clue. Sorry, this may or may not be helpful to you... I'm sure other members here use it and could tell you much more than what I've said. 8-)
—Keith
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I’m a big Mega fan. I have an account and store all my Beatles material there. Their desktop sync app for Mac works really well and is fast. I have a specific folder I sync for new items people share. It’s been pretty flawless. The IOS app is great. Shared links can be encrypted. I highly recommend a paid account for anyone here. Just my opinion.
K_A_P68

Post by K_A_P68 »

I like Mega and the Megasync app for Windows. Have never had any issues myself. Unless someone asks me to post via WeTransfer, everything I share I usually post to my Mega account. I also appreciate that you can easily choose to not have a recurring membership and they don't relentlessly email you offers.
onemojofilter

Post by onemojofilter »

Thanks guys, to all of you, for the feedback. It really helps!
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

I like them but you have to be careful if you post what they consider ton be illegal. I had a Pro account and it was cancelled (without refund) because I posted links for Beatlegs on BZ.

Now I have a Pro-Lite account but only for downloading and I refrain from posting links...
Yves
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

They won't associate uploads/downloads with your name because they don't have your name.
But if you're concerned, it's only torrents where copyright holders can obtain the ip's of the users - by connecting to the torrent as a downloader and logging the info. With a direct download they can't do this.

You don't need a paid account. Download speeds don't appear to be capped like some of the other filehosts, or if they are capped it's not by as much. For example filefactory takes me 3 hours to download a 200-isn mb file whereas it takes me a few minutes on mega.

When you sign up you used to get 50gb of storage, and old accounts still have 50gb. Now though, when you sign up they say they're giving you 50gb, but within a few days it's down to 35gb, and a few days later it's down to 15gb. What you actually get is 15gb.

I recently signed up a new account and put around 20gb on it when it was telling me I had 35, but then it dropped it to 15 and because I'd uploaded more than 15 it froze my account and said it was deleting the account (not even giving me a chance to delete some stuff to get it under 15gb), but a few weeks later I discovered it'd only deleted the contents so I was able to use it again. I think the truth is you can get more than 15gb by jumping through some hoops, like installing their app maybe rewards you with more capacity, I've not looked into it.

You can sign up multiple accounts anyway, if you use a different email address for each one.

Also, I find their web interface incredibly flaky, and hate the way it downloads and asks you where to save the file afterwards. Also, people should be aware that all your downloads are saved in its temp folder and not deleted, so if you do a lot of downloading with mega you might want to seek out the temp folder and delete the contents so it's not wasting discspace!

The solution (and what I use) is a command line tool called megatools...
https://megatools.megous.com/
...it doesn't use a lot of cpu like their web interface and does away with all that temp folder nonsense.
And if you find using command line daunting then do what I do and keep a txt file with the commands you need.

Firstly make sure you put your username and password in the ini file.

Commands: (Where LINK is the full filename (http-etc), and FILENAME is just the filename of the file you're uploading.)
First put the files you're uploading into the megatools folder, then...

download
megatools dl LINK

upload
(I use *.rar like the 2nd example, which means it uploads all the rar files I've put in the megatools folder. Useful when you're uploading more than one file but also works if there's only one file but don't want to waste time typing the name. Or use *.zip, whatever filetype you're uploading.)
megatools put FILENAME
megatools put *.rar

get the link of a file you just uploaded
megatools export /Root/FILENAME

list the files files in your account
megatools ls

delete a file from your account
megatools rm /Root/FILENAME
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

onemojofilter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:00 pm I've never attempted to get an account with Mega basically I guess because I was apprehensive about a service outside of the US that might record what I'm downloading or uploading and associating it with my name, etc.

My question is: if I should get an account and pay for service, A) would that make the downloads faster and B) are there any privacy concerns I should know about?

Does anyone have experience with this and can address these questions for me? I'd ask Mega but of course, they're motivated for me to get an account so there's that.

Thanks
I wouldn't give my cc details to Mega. They've already been shut down once by the feds.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
onemojofilter

Post by onemojofilter »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:41 am
onemojofilter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:00 pm I've never attempted to get an account with Mega basically I guess because I was apprehensive about a service outside of the US that might record what I'm downloading or uploading and associating it with my name, etc.

Thanks
I wouldn't give my cc details to Mega. They've already been shut down once by the feds.
Good to know thanks.
onemojofilter

Post by onemojofilter »

Egg_Crisis wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:43 pm
Thanks for all your help!