Question about Mega

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
MrMurphMcgee

Re: Question about Mega

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:41 am]

I wouldn't give my cc details to Mega. They've already been shut down once by the feds.
I pay for mine via Apple. Not sure if that makes a difference but it’s a layer of separation.
K_A_P68

Post by K_A_P68 »

Mega now uses client-side encryption, not end-to end, so even they can't see your files without the key. If any accounts are being shut down, it's probably due to a verified complaint, not the company looking at your files. The original company MegaUpload, was founded by nut job Kim Dotcom and was shut down in 2012. He was ousted and has no involvement with Mega.nz and they have much more transparency as a company. They are also forced to comply with everything as a result of their past troubles.

That said, I still wouldn't give out my CC info to any site if avoidable. Use Apple, Google, PayPal or anything else that provides an additional level of security.
onemojofilter

Post by onemojofilter »

K_A_P68 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:22 pm Mega now uses client-side encryption, not end-to end, so even they can't see your files without the key. If any accounts are being shut down, it's probably due to a verified complaint, not the company looking at your files. The original company MegaUpload, was founded by nut job Kim Dotcom and was shut down in 2012. He was ousted and has no involvement with Mega.nz and they have much more transparency as a company. They are also forced to comply with everything as a result of their past troubles.

That said, I still wouldn't give out my CC info to any site if avoidable. Use Apple, Google, PayPal or anything else that provides an additional level of security.
How can I use PayPal with mega? Doesn’t seem to offer that option. The choices seem to be a credit card or Bitcoin. I’m no stranger to technology but I have no understanding of Bitcoin and don’t intend to learn just to get on mega.
My opinions are my own, but, my dog tends to agree with everything I say.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I pay for my mega storage via Apple in-app purchase. I’m not sure if that means it’s more secure, but sharing for info.
Beatles4you

Post by Beatles4you »

Last edited by Beatles4you on Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

K_A_P68 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:22 pm Mega now uses client-side encryption, not end-to end, so even they can't see your files without the key. If any accounts are being shut down, it's probably due to a verified complaint, not the company looking at your files. The original company MegaUpload, was founded by nut job Kim Dotcom and was shut down in 2012. He was ousted and has no involvement with Mega.nz and they have much more transparency as a company. They are also forced to comply with everything as a result of their past troubles.

I didn't know they were a different company. Good thing too!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
onemojofilter

Post by onemojofilter »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:13 pm I pay for my mega storage via Apple in-app purchase. I’m not sure if that means it’s more secure, but sharing for info.
Are you saying you downloaded an app for your iPhone and made your purchase for Mega via Apple that way? If not, how did you do it, if you don't mind my asking. (If you prefer we can take this offline). I'm all for security, but want to make sure I'm not gonna get myself into hot water paying for the use of Mega here.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

onemojofilter wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:11 pm
MrMurphMcgee wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:13 pm I pay for my mega storage via Apple in-app purchase. I’m not sure if that means it’s more secure, but sharing for info.
Are you saying you downloaded an app for your iPhone and made your purchase for Mega via Apple that way? If not, how did you do it, if you don't mind my asking. (If you prefer we can take this offline). I'm all for security, but want to make sure I'm not gonna get myself into hot water paying for the use of Mega here.
Via my iPad actually. The iPad app is quite nice and like the iPhone app allows for in-app purchase of subscription.
K_A_P68

Post by K_A_P68 »

I believe you can use Google Wallet as well, via the Mega Android app, for those that have Android.
onemojofilter

Post by onemojofilter »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:43 pm
onemojofilter wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:11 pm
Via my iPad actually. The iPad app is quite nice and like the iPhone app allows for in-app purchase of subscription.
Sounds good, thanks for the info!