Can corrupt AVI videos be repaired?

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Megazeti

Can corrupt AVI videos be repaired?

Post by Megazeti »

I've got a few racing downloads and find they play OK on a PC but sometimes my Laser media player or Panasonic dvd players one won't play it...or be it the Laser says problem with the video but the audio plays OK. Also i it can FF at x4 opposed to a normal x32.
I found some repairs for corrupt MP4s or a TS file.
I've tried Wondershare but the AVI doesn't play, Any Video Converter does it but either pixels the picture or the audio's crap sp I up the rate so not to lose the quality.
However with AVC I've found the solution is to redo them as MKV with the size bigger or smaller depending on the file which works in the end.

But is there such a really good tool that can repair AVIs in particular.

Thank you in advance
Lord Reith

Re: Can corrupt AVI videos be repaired?

Post by Lord Reith »

It depends what the corruption is and what codec.

AVI is just a container, so the video could be any one of a number of codecs. But downloaded avis are usually divX which is having less and less support as time goes on.

My advice would be to demux the avi into separate audio and video streams, treat the video separately by transcoding it to a modern codec like h264 and then remux it with the audio into an mp4 container.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:43 pm ...into an mp4 container.
Just out of curiosity, why mp4 and not mkv? I like using the mkv container because it allows for chapters and subtitles and multiple audio tracks all in the same file. But if mp4 has advantages I don't know about... I am curious.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

bobzilla wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:03 am
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:43 pm ...into an mp4 container.
Just out of curiosity, why mp4 and not mkv? I like using the mkv container because it allows for chapters and subtitles and multiple audio tracks all in the same file. But if mp4 has advantages I don't know about... I am curious.
No advantage, just has more support.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

Well I'm calling corruption as the AVI video plays perfectly fine on a computer but obviously my 2 dvds 'usb media' players have problems with them could indicate they're partially corrupted or fragmented etc.
I usually watch them on a TV rather than a laptop or tablet phone.

I find MP4 you have to crank up the audio kps otherwise you get the bubbly audio so as a result the files slightly bigger. And MKV has its advantages of course
My main intention is if I can fix and retain the AVI source as just that then problem solved. I've found other specific file type repair tools but found it very hard to find on specifically for AVI.
Yeah I tried the 2 converters I mentioned but converted to AVI Wondershare worked but spat out the same problem & Any Video Converter - AVI sucessfully but made it more pixely.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

If you import it into Virtualdub it will tell you if it's corrupted.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene