The Beatles_TS and VOB files

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
bobzilla

Re: The Beatles_TS and VOB files

Post by bobzilla »

I personally use MakeMKV. It's pretty straightforward, and it will transcode a video_ts folder to an mkv and keep the chapters, which is great.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

bobzilla wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:25 pm I personally use MakeMKV. It's pretty straightforward, and it will transcode a video_ts folder to an mkv and keep the chapters, which is great.
That's the one I've most often used. But I'm never quite sure which are the best settings to use...for best size of file to quality ratio.
FileUnderT

Post by FileUnderT »

bobzilla wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:25 pm I personally use MakeMKV. It's pretty straightforward, and it will transcode a video_ts folder to an mkv and keep the chapters, which is great.
Sorry, I should have noted that I'm using the Mac mini M1.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

FileUnderT wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:54 pm
Sorry, I should have noted that I'm using the Mac mini M1.
There's a Mac version.
FileUnderT

Post by FileUnderT »

Ive been able to get DivX upgraded to run on my Mac mini as I bought the licence some years ago. Which of these formats should I select to get the maximum quality when I do a conversion of vob files, please
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 16.30.14.png
Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 16.30.14.png (216.61 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

FileUnderT wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:34 pm Ive been able to get DivX upgraded to run on my Mac mini as I bought the licence some years ago. Which of these formats should I select to get the maximum quality when I do a conversion of vob files, please
The closest possible to the original source definition, which I think will not be over 1080p. Unless you have the originals from Peter Jackson... ;) ;)
Yves
FileUnderT

Post by FileUnderT »

When I convert Vob files from a DVD title, does the software merge them into the proper sequence normally. I guess since each file is named in sequence VTS_01/VTS_02/etc, it should merge them in playing order?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

FileUnderT wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:15 pm When I convert Vob files from a DVD title, does the software merge them into the proper sequence normally. I guess since each file is named in sequence VTS_01/VTS_02/etc, it should merge them in playing order?
You never convert separate VOB files. That is a no-no. You always select the VIDEO_TS folder, which will then give you a list of titles to select from.

Let me give some advice to everyone: there is no need to convert to mp4 or divx any more unless you are sharing something online and want to keep the file small. The best option is to rewrap the dvd video in an mkv (matroska) container, which will allow you to both keep the full quality of the video and reduce conversion time to that it takes to copy the file. Sure it'll be a little bigger, but hard drives are so cheap nowadays that it doesn't matter any more. File size is no longer an issue.

For a full guide, see my posts in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=255

Converting dvds to other codecs like h264 and divx requires a solid understanding of resolutions, frame rates, interlacing, aspect ratios and many other things. It is full of pitfalls for the unwary, and my advice is to absolutely avoid it unless you really know what you're doing.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

An added bonus of transcoding to mkv is that it keeps the chapters, and if you get really fancy you can rename the chapters to something meaningful like "Don't Let Me Down" instead of "Chapter 3".

You can also create built-in subtitles, but man is it a pain if you're doing it from scratch.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

bobzilla wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:43 am An added bonus of transcoding to mkv is that it keeps the chapters, and if you get really fancy you can rename the chapters to something meaningful like "Don't Let Me Down" instead of "Chapter 3".

You can also create built-in subtitles, but man is it a pain if you're doing it from scratch.
You can find a lot of subtitles for free online. I once bought an Italian movie with no subtitles, but was able to find English subs online and you simply put the srt file in the same location as the mkv and they show on screen.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene