Decent "audiophile" headphones

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
AllTogetherNow

Re: Decent "audiophile" headphones

Post by AllTogetherNow »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:19 am The thing I don't like about headphone sthese days is the obsession with colouring the sound. If I want more bass i just turn the bass up, I don't want an album remastered with amplified bass played back through headphones with a deliberately bassy response.

The Grado ones look kind of like what I might want, so I might go for those. Wish I could try them first though.
You never buy sound in whatever shape before listning to it. Remember when Sgt Pepper came out in April 67 my mate and I stood in the listening boot debating if its was worth buying :lol:

Back to headphones but of course you don spend money on a headphone if you don try/listen to them beforehand. As you say different phones color the sound in different way what ever the price range and there is the comfort aspect too to consider. Just pop in to the local Hi Fi store/Audio store and ask for a listening session. :P

I did in fact got a listening session on an MP3 player beforehand in a shop at of of Heathrows taxfree terminals. ( did play FLAC of course)
Speakers and phones make a different to the outcome of the sound as well as cost a great deal of money so....be careful out there.

Happy new Year 2022

regards
ATN
Whats in that jar on your shelf? Tar?
No...its liquid Vinyl for making my dream collection.

The one with the Golden lid too?
Thats exclusive for Lord Reiths stuff
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

AllTogetherNow wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:06 amBack to headphones but of course you don spend money on a headphone if you don try/listen to them beforehand.
That's back when head lice was our biggest concern...
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

alphabeatles wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:23 am
AllTogetherNow wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:06 amBack to headphones but of course you don spend money on a headphone if you don try/listen to them beforehand.
I thought the topic was Beatles :lol:

Kind regards
ATN

alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

AllTogetherNow wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:53 am
alphabeatles wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:23 am
I thought the topic was Beatles :lol:

Kind regards
ATN
Another type of bugs, yes! You can get either of them when listening to used headphones...
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

I had the Sennheiser HD 420s are great flat-on-ear headphones but one ear finally gave up after 2 replacement cords.
I've now got the HD599s cup-over-ear and their comfy.

For walkabout i had the PMX60 then the band broke now I've got the PMX95 and their pretty good. Their both the neckband type as I hate feel of the 'plug in earphone. The old ball type of earphones with foam are a better for me.
And the neckband you can just as word implies around your neck to take them off for a moment as opposed to the tangly earphones. I've haven't tried the wireless type because of above
Last edited by Megazeti on Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

AllTogetherNow wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:06 am I did in fact got a listening session on an MP3 player beforehand in a shop at of of Heathrows taxfree terminals. ( did play FLAC of course)
Speakers and phones make a different to the outcome of the sound as well as cost a great deal of money so....be careful out there.

Happy new Year 2022

regards
ATN
I have an MP3 player which supports FLAC and IMO this little machine "colors" the sound, it's not as good as what I get on the computer with a cheap sound card. I think any of my Discmans produced better sound. Maybe modern portable devices are better in this regard, but so far I had no need for them, hence no experience.
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

zaval80 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:35 pm
AllTogetherNow wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:06 am I did in fact got a listening session on an MP3 player beforehand in a shop at of of Heathrows taxfree terminals. ( did play FLAC of course)

Happy new Year 2022

regards
ATN
I have an MP3 player which supports FLAC and IMO this little machine "colors" the sound, it's not as good as what I get on the computer with a cheap sound card. I think any of my Discmans produced better sound. Maybe modern portable devices are better in this regard, but so far I had no need for them, hence no experience.
Hi TOTALLY agree with you.

However my point was before buying sound DO LISTEN e.g never buy a product producing sound unheard.

Regards

ATN

Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I'd like to go into a shop and hear the Grado headphones but no one has them.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:34 am I'd like to go into a shop and hear the Grado headphones but no one has them.
For You Only Sir!
https://gradolabs.com/company/where-to-buy

Regards
ATN

ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

AllTogetherNow wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:33 am
Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:34 am I'd like to go into a shop and hear the Grado headphones but no one has them.
For You Only Sir!
https://gradolabs.com/company/where-to-buy

Regards
ATN
That isn't going to help our Lord of the Wreath...