Decent "audiophile" headphones

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
rhino

Decent "audiophile" headphones

Post by rhino »

I don't claim to be an audiophile but could anyone recommend a relatively decent but lower end pair of "audiophile" headphones that could be plugged into a computer as well as a cd player? I'm sure it also depends on the source of the music but a pair that could present a wide sound stage
and allow subtleties to come through.

Thanks .
mojofilter

Re: Decent "audiophile" headphones

Post by mojofilter »

For years, I've used AKG 240M headphones, which are pretty much the standard at recording studios and radio stations. The latest model is K240 Studio, and they're $67 on Amazon. They come with a 1/8" plug and a 1/4" screw-on adapter.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

I've been very happy with the Japanese Audio-Technica brand. I presently use a pair of ATH-M40X (roughly $100); I have a new backup pair of ATH-M20X ($50) waiting.

The former has a removable cable which is important, and metal inside the headband.

hxxps://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/headphones/type/over-ear
Lemonhead

Post by Lemonhead »

I love Grado headphones: the SR60s are at the bottom of the range and still excellent. Only downside is that they leak a lot of sound.
rhino

Post by rhino »

Thanks guys! Your input is very much appreciated.

Happy Christmas !
John
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

I'm a recording and remastering engineer by trade if that makes any difference. I would not swap my Audio Technica ATH M50's for anything. A clarity and bass response that beats any other set of headphones. I've had my pair for 20 years (although i've swapped the cable out and the headband in that time) When they finally give up will go for the more recent M50x. I bought my son the ATH M20x. Not quite as good, but comparable.

I've used AKG's, Sennheiser's, Beyer's and high-end Sony's, but the AT's are still my favourite.
joguema

Post by joguema »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:18 am For years, I've used AKG 240M headphones, which are pretty much the standard at recording studios and radio stations. The latest model is K240 Studio, and they're $67 on Amazon. They come with a 1/8" plug and a 1/4" screw-on adapter.
Good choice - the K240 Studio is also my favorite headphone:

zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

I am happy with Koss Porta Pros. Don't like their connecting wire, though - too thin. Supposedly it can be changed under their lifetime warranty, but I am used to soldering it myself :D When it gets too short, I make a replacement from a sturdier cable (must be of copper).
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Are there any good headphones that just slide up against your ears without having cups on them?

In the 80s and 90s I always had those yellow Senheiser HD424 studio heaphones. They were fabulously comfortable and you'd forget you even had them on. What I'd give for a working pair of those now!
senheiser 424 heaphones.jpg
senheiser 424 heaphones.jpg (101.6 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Doug

Post by Doug »

joguema wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:58 pm Good choice - the K240 Studio is also my favorite headphone:
I used K240's for decades, but it's been widely reported that the sound quality declined once they stopped making them in Austria and started making them in China.

Consequently, I switched to the K712, which is made in Slovakia and has the flat response I grew to love about the K240s.