Dolby ATMOS playback

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
sam004

Dolby ATMOS playback

Post by sam004 »

I've got all these Super Deluxe editions from the anniversary box sets.
I have never listened to the DVDs in these sets. (yeah I know)
My stereo equipment was stolen long ago and I never replaced it.

I want to get some kind of ATMOS setup.
Not looking to spend big money yet, so I am looking for a decent entry level setup.

How is everyone enjoying the playback of these discs ?

Can anyone make a few recommendations for a setup to enjoy these discs,
either through a home audio setup or through a PC or MAC or other medium ?
Last edited by sam004 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
skynet

Re: Dolby ATMOS playback

Post by skynet »

sam004 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:02 pm I've got all these Super Deluxe editions from the anniversary box sets.
I have never listened to the DVDs in these sets. (yeah I know)
My stereo equipment was stolen long ago and I never replaced it.

I want to get get some kind of ATMOS setup.
Not looking to spend big money yet, so I am looking for a decent entry level setup.

How is everyone enjoying the playback of these discs ?

Can anyone make a few recommendations for a setup to enjoy these discs,
either through a home audio setup or through a PC or MAC or other medium ?
i would recommend a dedicated audio setup, being an "audiophile" myself for the past 40 years, your question actually depends on your budget actually, as there are some nice setups out there, but that really depends

For starters here are a few expensive options but really nice options:

- https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/systems/Westchester-IV (i have the MX100 and MI347 in my setup)
- https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/spe ... _650_black

Budget options

- https://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-ht-g ... ht-budgets

Code: Select all

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S760H-Receptor-canales-Video/dp/B09HY24XVW/ref=ex_alt_wg_d?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B09HY24XVW&psc=1&pd_rd_w=aOryo&pf_rd_p=4e1b46a8-daf9-4433-b97e-d6df97cf3699&pf_rd_r=RCZZDCDTVEQ0FFGAY8R0&pd_rd_r=175b3798-6149-4ee1-ae55-d65e20e20b09&pd_rd_wg=t1R0t
Also you can always find some used or refurbished systems on ebay

Personally i would not recommend "sound bar systems" but that is only because i rather prefer to have the speakers setup myself in the room, and at least for me the whole of the sound coming from one place only detracts the experience, but that is just me

As for Blu-ray players, Dolby says you don't need a brand new player to support Atmos, as long as your player fully conforms to the latest specifications and can output a bitstream audio signal for your AV receiver to decode.

Hope you find what you are looking for

Regards
mudcrab

Post by mudcrab »

I'm sorta stuck between the two technologies, I recently got a new stereo integrated amp (old technics SUV-7 died after 40 years of service) new Sony turntable, NAD CD Player and second hand refurbished Nakamichi Cassette deck, thankfully my Aaron speakers were ok..........the reason, well through the Sony home theatre amp and speakers set up, music just doesn't 'sound' the same, so for things recorded mixed and made for Stereo an old school set up, to me, just sounds better.

I do play the blu-ray discs from the deluxe sets via the home Theatre set up, and I'm quite happy with the sound from that, and they are different, but made and mixed to be heard that way I guess.

So, yes haven't really answered the question, but the only real advice I would give, is when considering buying equipment, take some of your all time favorite music to the store and listen to how it sounds to you, the salespeople will bombard you with technical specs etc, and yeah that's important too, but really at the end of the day..................how does it sound to you is, in my view, always more important.....do you really need a setup that is $500 more in price, if you can't actually hear a difference.
skynet

Post by skynet »

mudcrab wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:06 pm I'm sorta stuck between the two technologies, I recently got a new stereo integrated amp (old technics SUV-7 died after 40 years of service) new Sony turntable, NAD CD Player and second hand refurbished Nakamichi Cassette deck, thankfully my Aaron speakers were ok..........the reason, well through the Sony home theatre amp and speakers set up, music just doesn't 'sound' the same, so for things recorded mixed and made for Stereo an old school set up, to me, just sounds better.

I do play the blu-ray discs from the deluxe sets via the home Theatre set up, and I'm quite happy with the sound from that, and they are different, but made and mixed to be heard that way I guess.

So, yes haven't really answered the question, but the only real advice I would give, is when considering buying equipment, take some of your all time favorite music to the store and listen to how it sounds to you, the salespeople will bombard you with technical specs etc, and yeah that's important too, but really at the end of the day..................how does it sound to you is, in my view, always more important.....do you really need a setup that is $500 more in price, if you can't actually hear a difference.
Well i think you have a very good point there, in the end it all comes down to one's appreciation of the sound... and then the size of the budget in second place :)