Internal DVD/Bluray Burner for PC

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
journeyman

Internal DVD/Bluray Burner for PC

Post by journeyman »

I'm having problems with an LG bluray writer/burner on my pc - it's not recognising a lot of discs anymore
Anybody have any suggestions on a newer model that they have had great results with.

I use it for playing back dvds and blurays and also burning to BD and DVD

Appreciate any help

Thanks
misterclaudel

Re: Internal DVD/Bluray Burner for PC

Post by misterclaudel »

I have the same burner and sometimes it helps to reboot your PC....it helps me anyways.....
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I have a Liteon. Never had any problems with it.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

misterclaudel wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:17 pm I have the same burner and sometimes it helps to reboot your PC....it helps me anyways.....
Thank you - yes, I sometimes come back a day later and it works fine. It seems very intermittent and temperamental at the moment, discs that have played fine before won't play, it's very odd. Not sure if Windows updates would affect it all?
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:52 am I have a Liteon. Never had any problems with it.
Thanks Lord, I'll have a look at those... :-)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

A burner stops working because the plastic lens becomes cloudy after a certain number of uses. It can't read or write information properly any more.

Originally the lenses were made of glass, and lasted a lot longer. My first burner was one of those and lasted forever with constant daily use. But the Liteon one has lasted a good 10 years with occasional use.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Thanks for the info Lord - yeah it seems things are definitely not made to last these days... It works intermittently so I've figured I'm going to have to replace it now. I'm trying to salvage a lot of old music archives I had on burnable dvd's realising that these too are beginning to deteriorate or not play - all good fun eh! :-)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

journeyman wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:53 am Thanks for the info Lord - yeah it seems things are definitely not made to last these days... It works intermittently so I've figured I'm going to have to replace it now. I'm trying to salvage a lot of old music archives I had on burnable dvd's realising that these too are beginning to deteriorate or not play - all good fun eh! :-)
Writable optical media is notoriously iffy unfortunately. Haven't used it myself in over a decade, and I imagine it's got much worse over time now that the format is in decline.