Extracting CDRs - Issues

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
recce13

Re: Extracting CDRs - Issues

Post by recce13 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:37 am There was also some freeware I used sometimes to copy error laden discs. It has no decryption so will only work on cdrs or home made dvdrs, but it was called "Roadkill's Unstoppable Copier".
Thanks for that tip, Lord Reith. In addition to extracting all my CDRs, I'm also in the process of converting all my trading days DVDs to digital as well, and have already run across several that wouldn't copy using DVD Decrypter or straight file transfer, so this tool may help in that endeavor.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

I have 2 kinds of software for extracting CD-Rs, EAC (freeware) and SoundForge (not free). As soon as EAC starts giving me blues regarding audio extraction because some tracks are badly readable or not at all, I stop it so as not to waste time (there is no guarantee the end result in EAC will be a quality rip in this case). Now is the time to use SoundForge. The beauty of SoundForge is - 1) you can select the reading speed x1, something impossible in EAC; 2) you can select the exact time within a track from which to start reading, also impossible in EAC.

So the procedure is simple. I extract everything which is readable within a sensible period of time with EAC. The faulty tracks are extracted with SoundForge (at x1 speed). If they are unreadable, I use trial & error to determine from what moment of time they could be readable, to see if I am able to use anything from these bad tracks.

Lastly, I use SoundForge to check whether the tracks extracted in SoundForge have errors, and for looking whether it's possible to edit together something useful from the saved bits of the unreadable tracks.
Last edited by zaval80 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fab4gear

Post by fab4gear »

Getting off the subject of CDR's for a minute, I've found that one of the worst proper Silvers for going corrupt over time, is The Beatles Live At The BBC Vol 1 Promo Sampler CD.
I have seen many of these over the years totally ruined due to crystalisation occuring on the media, 3 copies out of the 5 that I own,
are like this & have never ever been played or even handled or stored badly.
"In My Life, I've Loved Them All "
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I have a some factory dvds that won't play properly any more. It really pisses me off. Fortunately I make a backup of any dvd the day I buy it, but it still annoys me that this format which is supposed to be state of the art has less longevity than vhs tapes I made 40 years ago and still play.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
fab4gear

Post by fab4gear »

LR, I don't have many any DVD's that have done that, but I have quite a few proper commercially pressed CD silvers like that.
Altho, one DVD Silvers Bootleg box set that has turned faulty is the 4 DVD 2017 release of 'The Beatles - Let It Be. Ultimate DVD Collectors Edition' CP-10.
They were played once and were fine, then 6 months later I went to rip them to post on a forum & one was faulty. It looked near mint but it just would'nt play no matter what I tried. A year later another 2 of them had the same problem, there was no dirt, dust, fingerprints, scratches, fogging or any crystallization at all on them, but they won't play or copy again in any machine or with any program.
"In My Life, I've Loved Them All "
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

One of my biggest regrets was using paper labels so often on CDR's in the late 90's and early 2000's. Those things, or maybe their glue, shrink over time and warp discs. I've had some luck soaking and removing the label on a few but most went into the bin.
piles

Post by piles »

fab4gear wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:50 pm Getting off the subject of CDR's for a minute, I've found that one of the worst proper Silvers for going corrupt over time, is The Beatles Live At The BBC Vol 1 Promo Sampler CD.
I have seen many of these over the years totally ruined due to crystalisation occuring on the media, 3 copies out of the 5 that I own,
are like this & have never ever been played or even handled or stored badly.
Was unaware of this until I read your post.
My first thought was thankfully I have 2 beautiful, mint sleeved packaged copies, so my chances of having a good copy were better.
My next thought after seeing both of my discs heavily crystalized was something that forum rules prohibit me from relaying.
Thank you for the information fab4gear. I appreciate knowing. I'll have to check any copies I might run across for possible replacement.
Doug

Post by Doug »

By crystalisation, do you mean that cloudy goo that forms on the playing surface? If so, it can be removed with a drop of Dawn, a microfiber cleaning cloth, and a little patience.

Get Back Journals 2 was noted for that, IIRC.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

Doug wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:02 pm By crystalisation, do you mean that cloudy goo that forms on the playing surface? If so, it can be removed with a drop of Dawn, a microfiber cleaning cloth, and a little patience.

Get Back Journals 2 was noted for that, IIRC.
Bad flashback to getting GBJ2 home, opening it up, and seeing one of the disks covered with this goo. Somehow the shop owner I got it from was willing to replace the disk but it was a black disk that didn’t match the rest of the set!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It's funny, when I first bought a cd recorder (a big Philips job that cost a fortune) I was so excited about being able to make cds. The discs also cost an absolute fortune, but I was hypnotised by the whole cd mythos.

When I think now of how much money I wasted on that recorder and blank cds, I cringe. I could really use that cash now. And I don't think even one of those discs would actually be worth playing now anyway. It was an incredibly extravagant waste of money.

Like I said, a lot of my dvds (mostly made by Sony) will now not even play. 10 year lifespan if I was lucky. I probably watched them twice in that time. When blurays came along, I said "Uh-uh. You're not catching me out again." Twice bitten, forever shy.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene