Discussion of Get Back stereo polarity

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Lord Reith

Re: HOW TO CORRECT THE STEREO POLARITY ON GET BACK (super deluxe)

Post by Lord Reith »

This is becoming ever more confusing.

The boot "Untouched: Off Elektra Acetate" has the GB solo on the right, and the name of the boot surely indicates that they just dubbed it straight off of Glyn's acetates. These acetates were also broadcast on stereo FM radio in 1969 weren't they? The boot is called "Posters Incense And Strobe Candles" but I don't have it. What is the polarity on the radio broadcast?

I guess it's possible that the acetates and the bootlegs of the 1969 GB album are all flipped the wrong way but it seems like a stretch. I really don't know anymore. I guess everybody will just have to decide for themselves.

Why are people saying the official release is off a boot?
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:54 am This is becoming ever more confusing.

The boot "Untouched: Off Elektra Acetate" has the GB solo on the right, and the name of the boot surely indicates that they just dubbed it straight off of Glyn's acetates. These acetates were also broadcast on stereo FM radio in 1969 weren't they? The boot is called "Posters Incense And Strobe Candles" but I don't have it. What is the polarity on the radio broadcast?

I guess it's possible that the acetates and the bootlegs of the 1969 GB album are all flipped the wrong way but it seems like a stretch. I really don't know anymore. I guess everybody will just have to decide for themselves.

Here it is ("Posters Incense And Strobe Candles") , it's in SHN format which is a bit redundant and obscure but I believe lossless. I'm sure you can find a codec for it still.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Doug

Post by Doug »

Keep in mind they're two separate things - a set of reference acetates that Glyn had made for the group, and the actual unreleased "Get Back" album. Bootlegs of the acetates appeared even before "Let It Be" was released, and the unreleased album itself was aired in December, 1969 and first bootlegged on "O.P.D."
blackbird

Post by blackbird »

I heard Japanese CD has For You Blue correct 1969 mix, but I'm not sure is it true.
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

Choking Smoker wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:42 am
Lord Reith wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:54 am This is becoming ever more confusing.

Here it is ("Posters Incense And Strobe Candles") , it's in SHN format which is a bit redundant and obscure but I believe lossless. I'm sure you can find a codec for it still.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
listening to this, it is the first of the three mixes that Glynn Johns prepared. the one where he went home one night edited a bunch of stuff that they'd been doing recently and made up an acetate for them the next day, which they all didn't like when he played it to them..
this was done before the get back single was ever released or properly finished... as Get back doesn't have the coda, which was recorded later..yes John's guitar is on the right on the bootleg of this , but when Glynn Johns finally mixed and edited the song for a single release later on with the coda from a different take, John's guitar was on the left.
so of course that doesn't mean a lot as a bootlegger can do what he likes.and we're dealing with unfinished stuff that was later prepared,mastered and edited differently.
and the intro to get back that was used on the let it be lp version by Phil Spector is also reversed to what the bootleggrs did here.

and case in point no 2..... Glynn's next mix..mix no 2, which is on the deluxe box set,(but not in this download) was done after the get back single was mixed to stereo by him and it's the same mix as the single mix...and it's on the box set with johns guitar on the left... just like the original stereo single and every other standard release since....but the bootleg version still has it on the right hand side..

mix no 3 is the pretty much same for 1970...just the tracks swaps with i me mine and across the universe being added etc as we all know.

Everything in the history of all EMI releases of Get Back has the guitar on the left hand side...but a couple of bootleggers put it the other way around.

no idea why anyone would think they've dubbed an acetate of Glyn Johns mix for the box set. the bootleg version has mains hum, record noise, but obviously less record mastering , much like a simpler one step pressing process, so in many ways it's clearer and more open top end, and in other ways it's worse...
.an obvious example where the bootleg version is audibly inferior is that the bootleg version of "For you Blue" on the "Posters Incense And Strobe Candles" link above has bad wow and flutter about 36 seconds in.. but the version on the let it be deluxe is perfect in the same spot.

I've got the 96k 24bit version of the deluxe box set...and Glynn John's get back mix is from tape.
Last edited by stereoman33 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
reechie

Post by reechie »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:54 am
I think that's a mistake or an assumption. Because it appears that at least "I Me Mine" and possibly "Across The Universe" on the Disc 5 EP were sourced from bootlegs, some folks seem to be either misunderstanding or assuming that the main Glyn Johns album is also boot sourced.
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:04 am Someone asked if I was going to post a corrected version of the GB lp in the new LIB set. Well no, of course, but I will explain how to make some basic corrections.
In a BootlegZone post titled "How To Turn Your New Super Deluxe (White Album) Into An Ultra Deluxe," you gave detailed instructions on how to improve the demos. I bookmarked the page, thinking I'd get back to it later, but we all know how that went. Would you please re-post them? Thanks. And thanks for the "Get Back" instructions, too!
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
MacaRock

RE: Discussion of Get Back stereo polarity

Post by MacaRock »

Rave O Lucien wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:17 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:04 am Someone asked if I was going to post a corrected version of the GB lp in the new LIB set. Well no, of course, but I will explain how to make some basic corrections.
In a BootlegZone post titled "How To Turn Your New Super Deluxe (White Album) Into An Ultra Deluxe," you gave detailed instructions on how to improve the demos. I bookmarked the page, thinking I'd get back to it later, but we all know how that went. Would you please re-post them? Thanks. And thanks for the "Get Back" instructions, too!
I second this. I hope you can re-up the detailded instructions LR
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Rave O Lucien wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:17 pm In a BootlegZone post titled "How To Turn Your New Super Deluxe (White Album) Into An Ultra Deluxe," you gave detailed instructions on how to improve the demos. I bookmarked the page, thinking I'd get back to it later, but we all know how that went. Would you please re-post them? Thanks. And thanks for the "Get Back" instructions, too!
I see someone else has posted it here. I don't have it any more. It mostly applied to the demos from what I remember. The values for the studio tracks tend to vary slightly from song to song.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Doug wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:08 am Keep in mind they're two separate things - a set of reference acetates that Glyn had made for the group, and the actual unreleased "Get Back" album. Bootlegs of the acetates appeared even before "Let It Be" was released, and the unreleased album itself was aired in December, 1969 and first bootlegged on "O.P.D."
Yeah, but I'm actually inclined to think now that all the bootlegs are wrong, even the rough mix acetates. My copy of the 1969 album booted in the 70s has the guitar solo on the right, but they were hardly renowned in those days for their mastering prowess. As for the improved version that came out in 1986, that may have been from a lower generation copy of the 70s boot.

In short... nothing to see here, folks. Carry on as before.