Discussion of Get Back stereo polarity

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Lord Reith

Discussion of Get Back stereo polarity

Post by Lord Reith »

Someone asked if I was going to post a corrected version of the GB lp in the new LIB set. Well no, of course, but I will explain how to make some basic corrections.

EDIT: I asked the mod to hide this thread while I looked into it further. It transpires I was totally wrong about this so I have deleted my instructions, and please carry on as before... :)
Last edited by Lord Reith on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
powerPC

Re: HOW TO CORRECT THE STEREO POLARITY ON GET BACK (super deluxe)

Post by powerPC »

Thanks LR, I’ll give this a try but I’m all thumbs when it comes to audacity. But your instructions are well laid out, I’m grateful to you 😎
—Keith
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

well as far as correcting mistakes that Giles Martin has made, this one has a pretty low tally, especially compared with some of his past audio screw ups (digital compression,digital loudness boosts, rolled off top end, edit pieces/splices at the wrong audio levels) that have also convinced me that he is also tone deaf.(songs not at the correct pitch, or containing wow and flutter, or mashed up bits that are way out of tune with each other)

and don't get me started on most of his often lame 5.1 surround attempts (not all of them but too many to start with)
Last edited by stereoman33 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

As John might have quipped (if he was still with us and he'd heard about this heinous mastering error): "Would the people with the cheaper earbuds swap your buds? And the rest of you, if you’ll just rattle your cans...". :lol: :D
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

i'm not sure why you're concerned about reversing the Glynn Johns mixes..

just taking the song "get back" as an example,
every version of this song on this deluxe box set,
including the Glynn John's mixes
is mixed with John's lead guitar on the left side.
as well as the following...

the mobile fidelity lp,
the 2009 remasters,
Let it be naked,
the USA 7 1/2 ips stereo tape,
the one compilation ,
The vinyl of 1967-70
and past masters volume 2.
and my bootlegs of the acetate

The only places I have found where the lead guitar is on the right side is on Anthology 3 and on Love
I also think that I have too many copies of this song!

HOWEVER.... on "For you blue", on the Glynn Johns let it be set, John's slide guitar is on the right side
and every other version on this set it is on the left side.as well as other released versions
so "get back" is correct left to right
but "for your blue" may be around the wrong way left to right.
which seems to be the opposite problem to what has been described !!
Last edited by stereoman33 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:04 am, edited 15 times in total.
Sticks

Post by Sticks »

This thread is the first I have heard about this matter.

Has there been a discussion about it elsewhere?
paul62

Re: How To Correct The Stereo Polarity On Get Back (super deluxe)

Post by paul62 »

I've read that Glyn Johns himself mastered the tracks for the "Glyn Johns replica album", so that would have to be the final word on the matter, methinks. He has Gayleen Pease and Lizzie Bravo panned to the left on his 1970 mix of "Across The Universe": that's where they are in the WWF mix of the track, as well, so I don't think anybody should suffer from a case of audiophilia nervosa about that...!!!
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Actually the Get Back album mix on the box set was largely taken and tweaked from an inferior Purple Chick copy of the Get Back album with a few attempts to replace a couple songs with newer mixes if they came across them while compiling the other discs, if you notice the 1969 GB album mixes still have the hiss, not a master source at all, yet nothing from 1970 came from the John Barrett dub bootlegs as you can tell they came across the 1970's tapes for those mixes. In the other thread where another member gives the rundown of the box set track by track there is more details of sources and what's actually new.
paul62

Re: How To Correct The Stereo Polarity On Get Back (super deluxe)

Post by paul62 »

There's the Giles Martin interview (link below) where he says "Correct" when asked if Glyn Johns was involved in preparing the remastered version of "the replica album": maybe that's a case of preparing to pass the buck to Glyn if/when the audiophile brigade start booing and hissing at the quality of the product...!!!

Glyn probably kept dubs of the reels he'd prepped (and he might've "done a Geoff Emerick" and taken these home!!!): so, these dubs might have been utilised, when needed, for the new product (just guessing).

https://superdeluxeedition.com/intervie ... e-beatles/

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
Albert Grove

Post by Albert Grove »

Thanks Lord Reith for your concern here by providing a script to correct this in Audacity, and thanks to to powerPC by sharing the result. It's obvious from the sound though that the GB LP included in the box was sourced from a bootleg.