Help with burning CDRs

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
gearfab

Help with burning CDRs

Post by gearfab »

I was all set to start burning the new Beatles BBC set from our Lord Reith here, when the program I used on the original run, Burrrn, decided not to work anymore. It's telling me something about SPTILOCK's and "WARNING: Unit not ready, still trying..." I read somewhere where a guy said to download Wnaspi32.dll and copy it to the Burrrn folder, but that didn't work for me.

None of the other programs I have can seem to burn discs that are so close to 80 min. It claims there isn't enough space on the disc and shoots it out.
Disc 1 here is 79:57 so I've not gotten very far. I've tried iTunes, ImgBurn, Cyberlink Media Suite 10.

What do you guys use to burn discs that are so close to 80:00?
Thank you.
fishbeardsunset

Re: Help with burning CDRs

Post by fishbeardsunset »

:D Hi there. I burn a heck of a lot of cds, but have not had any experience with Burrrn. So, there could be be a number of issues to consider as to why your burn fails, you're right at the limit at 79:57 but even so 79 min 57 secs on an 80 min cdr shouldn't require require "overburning" and therefore I would think that possibly, the blank media you are using may not be quite up to it.- or there is now a problem with your actual burner. Does your drive support overburning? Have you also tried to alter the burn speed to say x16 which is what I always use and ensure there is a gapless interval between tracks? (I presume though you did not even get that far if you encountered error messages) You could also reinstall the Burrrn programme
again and see if this solves the problem.

The last cd I burned, I think was 79:19secs and I had no problems. One alternative that you could try, although it is a bit time consuming but you could interrogate each track in say "Audacity" and cut out any unnecessary free space at the beginning of the start of each track and at the end of the track then save each alteration to a new folder thus preserving the original files. If you did that to each track you could possibly gain an extra 30secs to 1min or more- over a 79 min compilation. Ideally though, it would be best to try and go for around 78 mins-79mins max playing time to avoid any possible burning errors.
The programme that I have been using for several years now is a bit dated, but it is lightweight, reliable and so far have had no problems with its ability to burn cds without errors
You can find out more here : CDBURNER XP
https://www.cdburnerxp.se/en/home

Finally, it is interesting that with modern technology my local computer shop here in Cyprus- advised me to stock up on blank cdrs as quite a few Companies will shortly cease production along with blank DVDS. The standalone pcs and I believe also laptops now are not even installing cd/dvd drives anymore- so you would have to buy an external drive! I've just bought 100 new Traxdada cd-r 52x 80min /700mb white disks to see me through! 8-)
These are my preferred choice of media that seem to work well with my burner and also on the the two cd players that I have for subsequent listening through my HI-FI set up..... Good luck and I hope you get things sorted :)
wizz

Post by wizz »

fishbeardsunset wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:01 am :D Hi there. I burn a heck of a lot of cds, but have not had any experience with Burrrn. So, there could be be a number of issues to consider as to why your burn fails, you're right at the limit at 79:57 but even so 79 min 57 secs on an 80 min cdr shouldn't require require "overburning" and therefore I would think that possibly, the blank media you are using may not be quite up to it.- or there is now a problem with your actual burner. Does your drive support overburning? Have you also tried to alter the burn speed to say x16 which is what I always use and ensure there is a gapless interval between tracks? (I presume though you did not even get that far if you encountered error messages) You could also reinstall the Burrrn programme
again and see if this solves the problem.

The last cd I burned, I think was 79:19secs and I had no problems. One alternative that you could try, although it is a bit time consuming but you could interrogate each track in say "Audacity" and cut out any unnecessary free space at the beginning of the start of each track and at the end of the track then save each alteration to a new folder thus preserving the original files. If you did that to each track you could possibly gain an extra 30secs to 1min or more- over a 79 min compilation. Ideally though, it would be best to try and go for around 78 mins-79mins max playing time to avoid any possible burning errors.
The programme that I have been using for several years now is a bit dated, but it is lightweight, reliable and so far have had no problems with its ability to burn cds without errors
You can find out more here : CDBURNER XP
https://www.cdburnerxp.se/en/home

Finally, it is interesting that with modern technology my local computer shop here in Cyprus- advised me to stock up on blank cdrs as quite a few Companies will shortly cease production along with blank DVDS. The standalone pcs and I believe also laptops now are not even installing cd/dvd drives anymore- so you would have to buy an external drive! I've just bought 100 new Traxdada cd-r 52x 80min /700mb white disks to see me through! 8-)
These are my preferred choice of media that seem to work well with my burner and also on the the two cd players that I have for subsequent listening through my HI-FI set up..... Good luck and I hope you get things sorted :)

That was a really informative and helpful reply.
kingkenneth 2

Post by kingkenneth 2 »

i had a similar problem with Burrrn, it worked fine with win7, but i had a hard time getting it to install in win10 and when it did finally install in win10 it never worked. i've tried numerous times but it just won't work in win10. unless someone knows how to or knows a trick how to do it.
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

Go to sourceforge.net which has tons of free open source programs. No doubt there will be a few burner apps there.
Cheers
Mike
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I had the Spitlock problem too one day when I tried to make a cd for my dad. I thought it was just me.

Here's a big list of burners:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/burn

Maybe burnatonce ?
dylanoscar

Post by dylanoscar »

I´m still using Nero Burning ROM 10..works fine... ;)
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

dylanoscar wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:36 am I´m still using Nero Burning ROM 10..works fine... ;)
Word.