Thanks!
paul62

Re: Pitch correction methods

Post by paul62 »

LesBaxter
Jul 7, 2020 at 4:13am

(quote)
Feb 20, 2020 at 9:55pm maul said:
Hi Paul, there's a question i always wanted to ask you: how do you calculate the exact amount of pitch correction a track needs? I always adjusted it by ear, but on BZ i noticed you often indicate it with millesimal precision :o

thanks
(end of quote)

Some of those calculations are flat out wrong.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
paul62

Post by paul62 »

paul62
Jul 7, 2020 at 12:10pm

(quote)
Jul 7, 2020 at 4:13am LesBaxter said:

Some of those calculations are flat out wrong.

(end of quote)

The percentage rates I've quoted for speed-corrections I've done (and I've done quite a lot of this as people familiar with my efforts would know!!) would probably be better described as "percentage rates for speed-correlation" (in situations where I've spent time to get one track (say, a stereo version of a Beatles song) to more or less correlate with the other, mono version of the song). I was always careful enough to state "this track needs to be speeded up by -.---% to more or less correlate with that track": my speed-correlations were all done in Audacity with a high level of precision but they were done manually/aurally, through trial and error and through valuable time spent (and not done automatically by some software!)! I was always very careful when titling a track and quoting the percentage rate needed, as well, so I stand by each and every one!!
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

dannyboy
Jul 11, 2020 at 5:26am

My brain hurts but this is a fascinating discussion. Hats off to all for even venturing into this particular minefield.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

paul62
Jul 11, 2020 at 6:00pm

(quote)
Jul 11, 2020 at 5:26am dannyboy said:
My brain hurts but this is a fascinating discussion. Hats off to all for even venturing into this particular minefield.
(end of quote)

I thought I'd try a little experiment using an app called KeyFinder that I've been using for a few months. I loaded up six versions of the track "A Hard Day's Night", all from commercial sources. The order of the versions displayed is:
(i) stereo USB stick version, released in 2009 - Detected key is D
(ii) BBC version, remastered and released in 2013 - Detected key is G
(iii) Hollywood Bowl version, released in 2016 - Detected key is Bm
(iv) original CD version, released in 1987 - Detected key is G
(v) remastered "1" CD version, released in 2015 - Detected key is D
(vi) mono CD version, remastered and released in 2009 - Detected key is G

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

ringo9th
Aug 24, 2020 at 6:46am

Wow! As I thought this IS a difficult affair. Reading this thread I remembered that folks at a Pink Floyd bootleg group used elasticity to correct speed variations as a result of tape recorders' batteries draining during long songs. But I guess audacity must be better because I read that a while ago. I suck terribly at maths and my musical ear is average at best so I think I better leave this to the pros in this board haha

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

blackbird
Sep 5, 2020 at 6:46pm

Does anyone teach me how to use pyrespeeder?
I read wiki, but I couldn't understand it.

Someone fixed wow flutter by using pyrespeeder, I tried too, but couldn't get fixed audio.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

paul62
Sep 6, 2020 at 1:22pm

I haven't tried pyrespeeder, yet: I managed to get the pyaudiorestoration tools installed (and I have used the dropouts tool to make fake stereo into mono and I have used the humspeed tool to see if I can ascertain the correct speeds of Decca session tracks: haven't tried anything else, though!!).

Reith and I were having some friendly conversation "in the 'zone" a month ago about some of the tools (and he's had trouble getting some of them to work):
http://www.bootlegzone.com/phpBB3/viewt ... it=MaxMono

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

blackbird
Sep 6, 2020 at 7:31pm

(quote)
Sep 6, 2020 at 1:22pm paul62 said:
I haven't tried pyrespeeder, yet: I managed to get the pyaudiorestoration tools installed (and I have used the dropouts tool to make fake stereo into mono and I have used the humspeed tool to see if I can ascertain the correct speeds of Decca session tracks: haven't tried anything else, though!!).

Reith and I were having some friendly conversation "in the 'zone" a month ago about some of the tools (and he's had trouble getting some of them to work):
www.bootlegzone.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... it=MaxMono
(end of quote)

I thought write a line over glitch line, then fix that, but didn't work.
Maybe there is other way.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Zoomer Roberts
Sep 11, 2020 at 1:53am

(quote)
Sep 6, 2020 at 1:22pm paul62 said:

www.bootlegzone.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... it=MaxMono
(end of quote)

I'd like to try my hand at the dropouts tool, and I hope you'll be willing to help me. You explained the differential equalization process so cogently when its creator's instructions made no sense a-tall!

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing