Pitch correction methods

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
paul62

Re: Pitch correction methods

Post by paul62 »

paul62
Sep 11, 2020 at 9:52am

Zoom, I must admit that I more or less bluffed my way through the setting up process after a few half-hearted attempts made over a lengthy period!!
The Differential EQ version you and I have been using in Audacity is a lot different to the newer version (which I haven't tried yet).

It's important to have all of the components downloaded and installed on your laptop. The names of the necessary components all seem like gobbledygook (but install them anyway!). Download the .zip folder and extract that to your desktop. Download all those other components and save them to your desktop. You will have a folder called pyaudiorestoration-master and if you open that, there will be a second folder with the same name which you then open. In the address bar of the folder you should have something like: This PC > Desktop > pyaudiorestoration-master > pyaudiorestoration-master >. You'd place your cursor into the address bar (well towards the right of the address) and do a left click on your mouse which will highlight the address. You replace the address by typing in CMD (which will bring up a black command line window (C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe)) and you will type in (or copy and paste from here) next to > on the command line the following: python setup.py install and then press enter on your keypad. The products in the pyrestoration suite are all opened up by using the command line. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves at this stage!! Once you've set up the suite, we'll get on to using them.

github.com/HENDRIX-ZT2/pyaudiorestoration

The developer (csnyfan) is a 25 year old university student from Germany and I guess he's like a lot of "millennials" who were brought up with computers being as easy to use as a knife and fork!!

That little job I did for you the other week (making the Dr.Ebbett's version of ""Yesterday"...And Today" with the fake stereo tracks, as provided by maul "in the'zone", into mono) was done using Audacity, in the end: I'd tried doing it with the MaxMono version of the dropouts repair application but it made the end result very loud. With Audacity, there is a volume reduction done by Audacity first before the folding down, so getting loud volumes (and clipped peaks) are avoided.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Zoomer Roberts
Sep 11, 2020 at 12:37pm

(quote)
Sep 11, 2020 at 9:52am paul62 said:
Zoom, I must admit that I more or less bluffed my way through the setting up process after a few half-hearted attempts made over a lengthy period!!
(end of quote)

I might do that, too.
There's a whole litany of prior installations, and it looks like I need to select one...

I'm interested in the dropout fixer, not for stereo-to-mono, but to fix dropouts. But LR said he couldn't make it work, and you've made similar statements...
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

paul62
Sep 11, 2020 at 2:58pm

Make sure you get Python 3.6. As per the link above, just go through and download each component before you install. Some of the items in the list can be double-clicked to get to the download link that you need.

I haven't tried to fix dropouts, yet. In our conversation "in the 'zone", Dave stated that "Unfortunately diffeq is the only one I've ever been able to get to work, all the rest crash though we have tried several times to find the problem."

After I'd said to him that I'd understood that he'd used dropout restoration in MaxMono mode, he stated "The maxmono and humspeed things work, but some of the other stuff including the synchronising one wont work for me."

As I say, I managed to wend my way through the installation process (and as a matter of pride I didn't seek any assistance from anybody or from csnyfan: I doubt that he'd really want to spend time helping anybody (and certainly not paul62) with this!

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Zoomer Roberts
Sep 13, 2020 at 2:01am

(quote)
Sep 11, 2020 at 2:58pm paul62 said:
Make sure you get Python 3.6. As per the link above, just go through and download each component before you install. Some of the items in the list can be double-clicked to get to the download link that you need.

I haven't tried to fix dropouts, yet. In our conversation "in the 'zone", Dave stated that "Unfortunately diffeq is the only one I've ever been able to get to work, all the rest crash though we have tried several times to find the problem."

After I'd said to him that I'd understood that he'd used dropout restoration in MaxMono mode, he stated "The maxmono and humspeed things work, but some of the other stuff including the synchronising one wont work for me."

As I say, I managed to wend my way through the installation process (and as a matter of pride I didn't seek any assistance from anybody or from csnyfan: I doubt that he'd really want to spend time helping anybody (and certainly not paul62) with this!
(end of quote)

I'll make Python 3.6 my primary goal. If I can wend my way through installing that, I'll proceed from there. ("On to the next round!" as Beatle George announced in one of the Christmas skits.) Should I be too proud to seek assistance? Hope not!

I have shoes older than csnyfan! ;)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

paul62
Sep 13, 2020 at 8:43am

Ha! LOL!

Here's a snapshot of csnyfan, relaxing on a hammock with a cool drink and wearing socks (which reminds me of the crack made by Giles Martin a couple of years ago about "the socks and sandals brigade" type of Beatles fan (obsessional, bookish, nerdy, desperate for rarities)).

I found an article about Germans wearing socks and sandals (csnyfan is a young German fellow):
https://www.dw.com/en/germans-socks-and ... a-49689654

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
Tex

Post by Tex »

I'm personally not a fan of micro adjustments of speed in the digital domain because you are cramming 100,100 samples into a 100,000 sample bag (or vice-versa) and all those samples are getting sliced and diced and pushed around and reassembled. It's just seems pointless (and destructive) if it's barely noticeable. I accept the released speed in most cases as the INTENDED speed even if it's not concert perfect and from looking at many posts apparently no Beatles recording is in absolute true pitch. :shock:

Having said that the Beatles probably recorded their basic tracks as close to standard pitch as possible unless of course they were messing with varispeed. You have to have the basic track in standard pitch to be able to overdub tuned instruments like pianos, keyboards. I suppose horns and violins can be played in relative tuning but I don't think you would want a group of classical musicians trying that. If you listen to that Penny Lane overdub tape closely the musicians actually talk about the backing track being flat.

Adjusting something at "-0.075%"??? [Biden] Come on, man! Leave My Samples Alone and Let it Be.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Yes, I've read commentary over at SH Music forums about some of the tracks on the Help! album (the ones with the Hohner pianet keyboards):

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... t-26907623

Rfreeman, May 19, 2021

You Like Me Too Much by The Beatles does one better. All the instruments retune by about 1/4 semi-tone between intro and verse 1. Tuning also changes for solo and outro - both of which match intro.

My best guess is it is because the piano was tuned to concert pitch and the Hohner Pianet was tuned flat and nobody noticed til I did.

Every tune from 65 they used the Pianet on is tuned flat. This one they switched keyboards 4x making it one of the oddest recordings ever tuning wise.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:46 pm I have used the version of Capstan that you supplied to me to fix the wow and flutter on demo recordings of songs I wrote that I made from the '80w through the '90s on cassette decks with crappy motors. On these, it has worked miracles. I was able to correct the wow on records like "Avergabenny" by Marty Wilde, and "Any Other Way" by Jackie Shane, and I fixed the wow on the promo of "Penny Lane" about which csnyfan had nothing good to say. The owner of the record was gobsmacked, though. I haven't encountered any Beatles bootlegs that needed Capstan yet. It is one of the best things ever made available to restoration engineers, but outside a handful of records, I haven't come across anything where its use was required. in any case, please accept my gratitude for having given it to me in the first place. What a great program!
Good one!! Could you post your "Penny Lane" promo? (I haven't seen your latest version of that: I remember there were a few versions uploaded at "the 'zone" back in 2017 when the wretched version from the SPLHCB SDE caused tidal waves of uproar in the Beatleg community...!!!).

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
Tex

Post by Tex »

If you slightly pitch up the bass guitar on the Rock Band stems for "I've Got A Feeling" it totally changes the feel of the song for the better. People with better ears have said the bass guitar is flat and I agree it's off. No, I don't know the amount it needs to be pitched up but it's very little. I've posted my "corrected" version in the past but I'll let someone else take a stab I'd like to hear another attempt if only to confirm.
Last edited by Tex on Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:53 am I'm personally not a fan of micro adjustments of speed in the digital domain because you are cramming 100,100 samples into a 100,000 sample bag (or vice-versa) and all those samples are getting sliced and diced and pushed around and reassembled. It's just seems pointless (and destructive) if it's barely noticeable. I accept the released speed in most cases as the INTENDED speed even if it's not concert perfect and from looking at many posts apparently no Beatles recording is in absolute true pitch. :shock:

Having said that the Beatles probably recorded their basic tracks as close to standard pitch as possible unless of course they were messing with varispeed. You have to have the basic track in standard pitch to be able to overdub tuned instruments like pianos, keyboards. I suppose horns and violins can be played in relative tuning but I don't think you would want a group of classical musicians trying that. If you listen to that Penny Lane overdub tape closely the musicians actually talk about the backing track being flat.

Adjusting something at "-0.075%"??? [Biden] Come on, man! Leave My Samples Alone and Let it Be.
Ha! "She's A Woman" (-0.012%: minimal difference) is even lower than the speed differentiation for "Matchbox"!!
Yeah, small-scale differences like that are not important enough to worry about, unless you were synching one version of a track with another version to make a new mix (and there is audio content common to both versions).

Some believe that "Hold Me Tight" was speed-manipulated back in '63, but that's never been confirmed (but also, it's never been proven to be flat-out wrong, as far as I know).

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing