Pitch correction methods

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
paul62

Re: Pitch correction methods

Post by paul62 »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:42 am If you slightly pitch up the bass guitar on the Rock Band stems for "I've Got A Feeling" it totally changes the feel for the better. People with better ears have said the bass guitar is flat. No, I don't know the amount it needs to be pitched up but it's very little. I've posted it in the past but I'll let someone else take a stab.
Paul's Hofner bass was well-known for having tuning problems (he had it professionally fixed to keep it in tune when he started using it again for touring purposes in the late eighties or something like that). In January 1969, on the rooftop of 3 Savile Row, in the cold weather, the bass strings were probably affected, tuning-wise.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:53 am I'm personally not a fan of micro adjustments of speed in the digital domain because you are cramming 100,100 samples into a 100,000 sample bag (or vice-versa) and all those samples are getting sliced and diced and pushed around and reassembled.
I agree. If the difference is infinitesimal then leave it alone.

I've read people recommending something called "élastique Pro" which is supposed to be able to speedcorrect while keeping all the bits and bytes intact, in such a way that if someone else was unhappy with the result they could reverse it and get something that checksums with the original source file.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

paul62 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:30 am
mojofilter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:46 pm I have used the version of Capstan that you supplied to me to fix the wow and flutter on demo recordings of songs I wrote that I made from the '80w through the '90s on cassette decks with crappy motors. On these, it has worked miracles. I was able to correct the wow on records like "Avergabenny" by Marty Wilde, and "Any Other Way" by Jackie Shane, and I fixed the wow on the promo of "Penny Lane" about which csnyfan had nothing good to say. The owner of the record was gobsmacked, though. I haven't encountered any Beatles bootlegs that needed Capstan yet. It is one of the best things ever made available to restoration engineers, but outside a handful of records, I haven't come across anything where its use was required. in any case, please accept my gratitude for having given it to me in the first place. What a great program!
Good one!! Could you post your "Penny Lane" promo? (I haven't seen your latest version of that: I remember there were a few versions uploaded at "the 'zone" back in 2017 when the wretched version from the SPLHCB SDE caused tidal waves of uproar in the Beatleg community...!!!).
I'd really like to hear your 'Penny Lane' promo as well! Thanks :)
—Keith
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Close enough for skiffle, right!
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

"élastique Pro" as far as I can work out is an algorithm. I use it (as a built-in part of several pieces of software) for time stretching and pitch correction, but it will still have an effect on the original sound and I very much doubt it can be reversed completely.

Izotope RX 8 advanced has a really good wow/flutter removal tool which I find works much better than Capstan for minor tape imperfections and off centre records (I've used it quite a bit recently for commercial releases) although It can occasionally read something as a speed change that isnt. It also has a tool to put the recording at 440hz=A, but I tend not to use this as you don't know what the original tuning actually was - I tend to trust that my turntables and my Studer are pretty much on the nail when it comes to professionally recorded material.