Creating artwork?

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
iso74

Creating artwork?

Post by iso74 »

Could anyone suggest relatively cheap and easy to use software for creating artwork for CDs?
Suzy Parlourphone

Re: Creating artwork?

Post by Suzy Parlourphone »

Mac or PC? I like Pixelmator on Mac for doing cover art.
iso74

Post by iso74 »

PC, Suzy. I want to start off quite basic, just putting text on photos and liner notes, but without it looking too homemade lol. The typical cover art of a bootleg that might be shared here.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Hi iso74,

I use Photoshop but it's not exactly a basic starting point... I've heard that GIMP is a good (and free) alternative to Photoshop. I've never used it, so i can't speak to its ease-of-use but it will probably do what you're wanting.

free download: https://www.gimp.org
—Keith
MRLENNON_BRASIL

Post by MRLENNON_BRASIL »

I use Photoshop too
iso74

Post by iso74 »

Thanks, I'll check out GIMP. Photoshop is a bit expensive for something I want to try out first. I suppose I should just Google "cheap alternatives to Photoshop", but I thought I'd ask for recommendations because there's probably a ton of them out there.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

iso74 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:26 pm Thanks, I'll check out GIMP. Photoshop is a bit expensive for something I want to try out first. I suppose I should just Google "cheap alternatives to Photoshop", but I thought I'd ask for recommendations because there's probably a ton of them out there.
Back in the day when making your own CDs was a much more poplar thing to do the label kits came bundled with software which could do all you are looking to do at this moment. Maybe track one of those down.
magoocus

Post by magoocus »

I still use Paint Shop Pro 4. :lol:
iso74

Post by iso74 »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Because of the lockdowns i've been listening to a lot more music. I started listening to regularly listen to whole albums for the first time. Usually on my phone going for walks or at home while doing sudokus or sorting through harddrives. Counter-intuitively I was getting a deeper first listen when I was also doing something else. I was trying to learn the guitar again as well, and playing music gives you a different perspective, you can appreciate different things. So now i've been thinking of making some compilations, with perhaps artwork and liner notes.

If I started with the Beatles i'd probably do a box set that would be a musical version of one of those books which tells you how a famous writer or philosopher is a good guide for Life. It struck me while listening to "ATMP" just how many good songs John, Paul and George wrote about Life and the Human Condition.
unwantedman

Post by unwantedman »

iso74 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:47 pm Could anyone suggest relatively cheap and easy to use software for creating artwork for CDs?
this is a bit low-brow, but i've used microsoft publisher for years, with some photo editing in photoshop if needed. this would not qualify as cheap since you have to buy office to get it, but if you're buying office anyway ...
Elmore James ain't got nothin' on this baby.