XMediarRecode problem any alternative?

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
chrisp

XMediarRecode problem any alternative?

Post by chrisp »

About a year ago Lord Reith gave some really good advice about ripping dvds to digital using XMediaRecode. The key thing was that it ripped to mkv without re-encoding. I ripped some dvds to hard disk and it worked well but could be a bit flakey. I have just bought a new hard disk and tried to rip a dvd to mkv using the latest version of XMediaRecode but it does not seem to work at all. I just get an error message after pressing Encode. I wondered if anyone is aware of another piece of software that could be used to rip to mkv with no re-encoding. Thank you.
bobzilla

Re: XMediarRecode problem any alternative?

Post by bobzilla »

I use MakeMKV
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Thank you. I will try that.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Is it a commercial dvd? Xmediarecode cannot decrypt CSS encoding. You have to rip the disc first to a folder with something like DVDfab. Then open the folder with Xmedia.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Not a commercial dvd. It's one I made years ago using my Pioneer PVR/dvd recorder. I'm not sure about the format but I will try your dvdfab suggestion. Many thanks.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

What is the error message?
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Thank you for replying.

The dvd I am trying to rip has a video-ts folder so I have not tried dvdfab. The process I follow is to set format to mkv, open disk, open the video and audio tabs and set to copy. I add to queue and then encode. The error message appears almost instantly and reads "An error occurred when processing. Total processing time 00:01".

I am using version 3.5.7.7 on a Windows 11 laptop. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software. I have tried Makemkv which seems to work but I am not sure if it rips losslessly. Would dvdfab be an alternative? I'd be happy to pay for it if it does the job.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

DVDfab can convert to mp4 but re-encodes. But if you are just ripping the disc to a VIDEO_TS folder you can use the free "HD Decrypter" option. You don't have to pay anything.

If that doesn't work, there may be something wrong with the disc.

I have used makemkv a long time ago but I seem to recall you had to keep getting a new demo code every few weeks which made it a pain in the ass. But aside from that it did what it says on the label.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Thank you Lord Reith. I think I'll use Makemkv for now. It seems to work ok and I haven't had any annoying reminders so far.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:59 pm I have used makemkv a long time ago but I seem to recall you had to keep getting a new demo code every few weeks which made it a pain in the ass. But aside from that it did what it says on the label.
It used to do that in order for the user to go get the latest version. They changed it at some point so that it now just goes and checks for updates like normal apps do.