How can I declick and enhance vinyl audio?

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
MacaRock

How can I declick and enhance vinyl audio?

Post by MacaRock »

Hi guys! Can anyone help me with this please?
I've got a couple of songs that are vinyl sourced and have clicks and pops, and the vocals saturates the audio in some parts, so I would need to fix that too
What software do you recommend me to use? Any tips or suggestions are truly welcome.
MagicalMysteryWarlus

Re: How can I declick and enhance vinyl audio?

Post by MagicalMysteryWarlus »

Izotope RX8
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

You can de-click quite effectively in Audacity by zooming in on the waveform and literally deleting the spike. The duration of the click is so infinitessimal you don't notice anything wrong in playback. That's a totally manual solution of course - whether it's practical depends how many clicks you have!
MIGUEL_DARIO

Post by MIGUEL_DARIO »

SOUND FORGE Audio Cleaning Lab 3
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

For the clicks and pops, some of use 'ClickRepair' which is an excellent program. However, the guy who developed it has fallen ill (or may have passed) and the product is no longer available from his website. The download can still be found online but be careful with that. Also, the program is a 30 day trial only and there is nowhere to purchase the authentication key to unlock it. There are workarounds though. It's discussed here on the hoffman forum

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... r.1029567/

PS. Mod - If the link to hoffman is not allowed then please delete
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Mr Bump wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:26 pm You can de-click quite effectively in Audacity by zooming in on the waveform and literally deleting the spike. The duration of the click is so infinitessimal you don't notice anything wrong in playback. That's a totally manual solution of course - whether it's practical depends how many clicks you have!
You don't need to delete the click though. Once you've zoomed in on it, use "repair" from the effects menu and that will smooth out the click and make it inaudible. The maximum width is 128 samples.

To "see" clicks easily, make a duplicate of the track and apply the highpass filter at -48db at 9khz, then amplify the result up to 0db. Then the clicks will appear as sharp vertical lines that can be easily spotted. Then zoom in on the original audio in the same spot and apply the repair function.
Last edited by Lord Reith on Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:21 am
You don't need to delete the click though. Once you've zoomed in on it, use "repair" from the effects menu and that will smooth out the click and make it inaudible. The maximum width is 128 samples.

To "see" clicks easily, make a duplicate of the track and apply the lowpass filter at -48db at 9khz, then amplify the result up to 0db. Then the clicks will appear as sharp vertical lines that can be easily spotted. Then zoom in on the original audio in the same spot and apply the repair function.

Thanks for that Sir. I've used Audacity for some years and never knew that. We're never too old to learn something new. I've used the Click Removal button and then had to resort to manual deletion if that didn't work satisfactorily.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Rusty wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:38 am
Thanks for that Sir. I've used Audacity for some years and never knew that. We're never too old to learn something new. I've used the Click Removal button and then had to resort to manual deletion if that didn't work satisfactorily.
I think a lot of peoiple probably don't know about it. "Repair" doesn't really suggest click removal, particularly since there is another effect further up the list called "click removal". But the repair button works much, much better. It completely nukes the click with no artefacts. But it's only practical if the clicks are sparse.

Btw I meant to say "high pass filter", not "low pass filter". The latter would actually make the clicks even less visible!
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

Mr Bump wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:26 pm You can de-click quite effectively in Audacity by zooming in on the waveform and literally deleting the spike. The duration of the click is so infinitessimal you don't notice anything wrong in playback. That's a totally manual solution of course - whether it's practical depends how many clicks you have!

To "see" clicks easily, make a duplicate of the track and apply the highpass filter at -48db at 9khz, then amplify the result up to 0db. Then the clicks will appear as sharp vertical lines that can be easily spotted. Then zoom in on the original audio in the same spot and apply the repair function.
This works great! Thank you!
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Rave O Lucien wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:31 am

This works great! Thank you!
Member Nimbus put me on to this method (thank you Nimbus!) and I concur, it works very well on most short clicks and noises.