Australian Rubber Soul Mono Needledrop

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
ianbuckers

Re: Australian Rubber Soul Mono Needledrop

Post by ianbuckers »

r9453 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:56 pm
K_A_P68 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:54 pm This is the PBthal rip of the Australian mono loud cut. I believe this rip is from either 2012 or 2015, not sure if he did any other rips of this album.
Wow, thanks, gear fab! I have a spreadsheet (PBTHAL Rips):
2009-06-23 The Beatles - 1965 - Rubber Soul (Australian Mono Loud Cut) AT33PTG
2012-04-20 The Beatles - 1965 - Rubber Soul (Australian Mono Loud Cut)
2015-03-14 The Beatles - 1965 - Rubber Soul (Australian Mono Loud Cut)
I sometimes wonder if this means he re-ripped the (same) LP three times or went back to his raw files and upgraded them.
He re-rips them afresh as the difference is in the ripping set-up...he redoes them after upgrading one or more elements of his set up. So there is an assumed upgrade in sound quality from a newer rip...although I have agree he rarely does a bum rip so older ones are fine. I still use his 2009 rip of this as my listening copy. I just wish he would reduce down to 16 bit before posting...files are much bigger and so take longer to download with no aural benefit.
r9453

Post by r9453 »

"He re-rips them afresh as the difference is in the ripping set-up..."

Yes but these are all AT33PTG in the spreadsheet.

I was under the impression that he does not own some of the records that he rips. So, would that mean the owner re-submits each time a new rip is made. I suppose that with his equipment and method there is very little degradation but each time the record is played it must have some negative effect.

Incidentally, this folder had two different lineages in it. Oops I notice that K_A_P has adjusted his post. I will download the new link, thanks again.
Bob Dylan
LB Cloud
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

K_A_P68, I'm absolutely chuffed with those. Thank you so much for posting them. I have some of BP's drops as well. So these will be GOOD.
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Thank You!!
Help67

Post by Help67 »

Hello, is possible re-up this Rubber Soul rip? Thanks in advance.
K_A_P68

Post by K_A_P68 »

Here are the two versions shared previously:

hxxps://we.tl/t-JcDS3HBS9s
I Am The Walrus

Post by I Am The Walrus »

I can't tell the difference between the Loud Cut Mix and the normal mix of the Rubber Soul Mono LP, could someone explain to me what the differences are in this Loud Cut mix, please?
I'm 46 years old and my ears can no longer perceive certain things.
Thanks in advance.
Bianju

Post by Bianju »

I Am The Walrus wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:45 am I can't tell the difference between the Loud Cut Mix and the normal mix of the Rubber Soul Mono LP, could someone explain to me what the differences are in this Loud Cut mix, please?
I'm 46 years old and my ears can no longer perceive certain things.
Thanks in advance.
As best I can understand, Rubber Soul is a difficult album to press to vinyl (especially in mono) because the master tape is so dynamic that most players would not be able to reproduce the sound (especially the bass), so the cutting engineers had to get creative with how they chose to adapt the tape sound onto disc. The usual EMI rock n roll cutting engineer Harry Moss did the first -1 cutting and decided to try and do a similar EQ to what he had done for the previous mono albums, so essentially compressing the dynamics to sound very exciting and brilliant. However, the composition of these songs (and perhaps the fact that Rubber Soul has a lot denser instrumentation) meant that there were many complaints that this mastering was too harsh. So a different engineer (Hazel Yarwood, who I believe was more accustomed to cutting classical albums) was given the task of creating a more fitting and less compressed master for Rubber Soul, which is what the more common mono album is.

I think the difference is a lot more minimal than the hype surrounding it, but the "Loud Cut" name is pretty accurate, imo. The extra processing definitely works for more tracks than it doesn't.
Help67

Post by Help67 »

Hi K_A_P68, thank you very much for re-up this vinyl raritie.
Help67

Post by Help67 »

Everything I am learning from you. The world of official editions is really crazy.