Request: McCartney - No Values, version with full outro jam

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
slane

Request: McCartney - No Values, version with full outro jam

Post by slane »

Hi, does anyone have the version of No Values with the longer outro jam? I'm guessing the best source might be a rip of the Broad Street DVD, or is there another source?

Thanks in advance.
MP3J

Re: Request: McCartney - No Values, version with full outro jam

Post by MP3J »

slane

Post by slane »

MP3J wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:06 pm :) hxxps://we.tl/t-0gwsOg1Ehj
Thanks. I appreciate your share.

Your MP3 has a healthier spectrograph than the version I ripped from YouTube, but is otherwise the same.

I guess the film mix is just inherently muddier than the album mix. A shame, as that outro is as good as the song itself. It didn't deserve to be cut from the album.

Anyone aware of any other source that better matches the album mix?
Chicagofanforever 5+

Post by Chicagofanforever 5+ »

That film mix (not just that song) has always sounded weird. It sounds like an old surround mix that's been downmixed to stereo if that makes sense.
I ripped that version but I'm pretty sure I edited the long ending onto the released version just so the whole track didn't sound bad.
Next chance I get I will give it a listen and see how it is and then I will post it.
O1Ghungary

Post by O1Ghungary »

It's on this one too, probably the same fold down mix.

viewtopic.php?p=78066#p78066
slane

Post by slane »

Chicagofanforever 5+ wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:56 am That film mix (not just that song) has always sounded weird. It sounds like an old surround mix that's been downmixed to stereo if that makes sense.
That makes perfect sense, as that it what it sounds like to me.
Chicagofanforever 5+ wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:56 amI ripped that version but I'm pretty sure I edited the long ending onto the released version just so the whole track didn't sound bad.
Next chance I get I will give it a listen and see how it is and then I will post it.
Thanks. That's the route I've taken so far. I took the (fairly crappy) Youtube rip, speed corrected it (the film version seems to run about 1% slower than the album), did quite a bit of EQ work (that I can't remember exactly as it was lots of trial and error) and edited that onto the album version of main song. Once I have the best available copy of the outro, I'll probably redo it. I'm interested to hear yours though.
Last edited by slane on Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slane

Post by slane »

O1Ghungary wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:25 am It's on this one too, probably the same fold down mix.

viewtopic.php?p=78066#p78066
Thanks, downloading now...
Chicagofanforever 5+

Post by Chicagofanforever 5+ »

Look forward to hearing your work Slane, Thanks.
Here is what I have, it's the CD version with the jam edited on.... the jam taken from the laser disc. Yeah, way back when I could do that....

Rick

Post by Rick »

For another comparison, if desired, it's also one of the tracks on the McCartney "Ultimate Archive Collection" on the "Give Us That Knowing Wink" volume (Disc 1, Track 15). If you don't already have it, you can find it on the first link listed here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=121
slane

Post by slane »

Rick wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:29 pm For another comparison, if desired, it's also one of the tracks on the McCartney "Ultimate Archive Collection" on the "Give Us That Knowing Wink" volume (Disc 1, Track 15). If you don't already have it, you can find it on the first link listed here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=121
Thanks, that one sounds better than most of the other 'film versions'...
Chicagofanforever 5+ wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:57 pm Look forward to hearing your work Slane, Thanks.
Here is what I have, it's the CD version with the jam edited on.... the jam taken from the laser disc. Yeah, way back when I could do that....
...and that's a good effort at the edit. Interestingly, the laserdisc seems to be a different mix.

What I've come up with so far for the ending is this:

A combination of the stereo Youtube rip (it's technically compromised resolution wise, but seems to sound better than most. Or at least it does after I applied the EQ that I now can't remember)

and an extracted instrumental file (from the DVD 5.1 ?) from a boot called Mo Mac's Hidden Tracks Vol 30. That file is mono, but then the stereo rips have the guitars panned towards the middle anyway for the ending.

So by combining those two sources (both ran at the slower 'film version' speed and there were some glitches to iron out, but I got them to sync and adjusted the overall speed and EQ to match the album version), I think it sounds pretty good. Narrow stereo, but like I said the stereo film mix of the ending is not that wide anyway.

I made the last chord of the main part of the song gradually pan in slightly to make the join smoother, and at the end it fades into the Mo Mac's version only (this doesn't have Paul's 'Don't do it!' speech as it's just the instrumental track). So it just ends with the burst of feedback, which I prefer.

I'll live with it for a while before I post it here. I may try it with the Give Us That Knowing Wink transfer too at some point.

A big thanks to everyone who has helped with this.