I've lost Hornsey Road

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
Mr Bump

Re: I've lost Hornsey Road

Post by Mr Bump »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:17 am Hang on, I've got an two hours and 27 minutes of the A/V presentation with all the speech. I'll send it in now and have a link for you shortly, if no one is trying to beat me to it.
"A/V presentation"? Is that audio/visual, meaning film of the event? Or am I being acronymically challenged?
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

I'm not sure. I auditioned parts of it and found Mark talking in most of them. I have not personally auditioned this recording yet. By the description of what LR was looking for, it seemed this was more like it than other issues that had mostly music, He has said that this was the thing he was looking for.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Got you. I downloaded the link and it's just audio. If film did exist of this, I'd love to see it. Couldn't make the shows at the time.
PanKotskiy

Post by PanKotskiy »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:19 am I'd still like to hear the alternate show from Lincoln upgrade
Hello! I hope this is what you are looking for: hxxps://we.tl/t-IjCP58Flrd (active for a week). Hornsey Road (Lincoln) in 2 parts. I've got the files from this forum or from BZ (more likely, because it's 2019), thank you to the original uploader!
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thank you for sharing PanKotskiy ....
michael_charles

Post by michael_charles »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:19 am Yes, that last one is the one I used to have. Thanks to all who replied. What it is to have friends!

I'd still like to hear the alternate show from Lincoln upgrade, but it's just an empty folder :?
The files are there now.

Michael
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

michael_charles wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:14 pm The files are there now.

Michael
Thanks!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Captain_Kidd

Post by Captain_Kidd »

Lord Reith, forgive me for coming in on another topic... I have a question regarding a track from your wonderful BBC set.

I first got to know the track Oh! My Soul on a boot from 1980 called Beautiful Dreamer. It was in less-than-perfect fidelity but it had an energy and a ‘through a small 60s radio’ feel that made it perfectly listenable.

I first heard it in high quality sound on the official 1994 Live at the BBC release, but this version (and every official and non-official one since) lacked something which had been burnt into my brain from the earlier boot: an intro with The Fabs exclaiming ‘Our romance’ before the music bursts in: “Our romance.. intro.. Oh! My soul! ..” I hope I’ve described it well.

Every time I listen to this track on current sets I always think… It’s missing the start! Think of it as having to listen to ‘I Saw Her Standing There’ without the “1,2,3,4!”

I know, I know.. it’s the smallest thing, but I wonder if there’s an ‘Our romance intro’ version in good quality out there somewhere. Could one be reconstructed? I know you made discreet tweaks and repairs to many other tracks on your set.

Clearly I need more (our) romance in my life!

Thanks, and thank you for all your amazing work, I’ve been hooked since -1.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Captain_Kidd wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:00 am Lord Reith, forgive me for coming in on another topic... I have a question regarding a track from your wonderful BBC set.

I first got to know the track Oh! My Soul on a boot from 1980 called Beautiful Dreamer. It was in less-than-perfect fidelity but it had an energy and a ‘through a small 60s radio’ feel that made it perfectly listenable.
That's where I heard it too. That whistle at 1.5hkz damn near drove me crazy!
I first heard it in high quality sound on the official 1994 Live at the BBC release, but this version (and every official and non-official one since) lacked something which had been burnt into my brain from the earlier boot: an intro with The Fabs exclaiming ‘Our romance’ before the music bursts in: “Our romance.. intro.. Oh! My soul! ..” I hope I’ve described it well.

Every time I listen to this track on current sets I always think… It’s missing the start! Think of it as having to listen to ‘I Saw Her Standing There’ without the “1,2,3,4!”

I know, I know.. it’s the smallest thing, but I wonder if there’s an ‘Our romance intro’ version in good quality out there somewhere. Could one be reconstructed? I know you made discreet tweaks and repairs to many other tracks on your set.
I know what you mean yeah. The BD guys didn't have a full tape, I think it starts at the first "Ohh! My soul!" So they made a fake intro which sounds quite different to the real one. "Our romance" is a quick sample from the BBC version of Slow Down. Not sure how that got there and whether it was deliberate. But I used to like that too! I'll have a go at it and see.
Thanks, and thank you for all your amazing work, I’ve been hooked since -1.
Oh, thanks man. very nice of you to say so.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Captain_Kidd

Our romance or not Our romance

Post by Captain_Kidd »

Your reply sent me off on some detective work: I went back to the Beautiful Dreamer ‘Oh! My Soul’, and the one on the Great Dane Complete BBC Sessions box, which also has the ‘Our romance' intro, to do some comparisons.

The Great Dane ‘Oh! My Soul’ appears to be from a different source from the BD as it lacks the 1.5khz whistle and there’s an edit into another source 8 seconds in (quite a distinct change in sound too). The sound of these first 8 seconds up to this edit is consistent throughout in ambience/hum/radio buzz which casts doubt on the idea that there's any edit piece from the BBC Slow Down.

So, we do have two distinct sources with the ‘Our romance’ intro which would indicate that the intro’s legit. The rest of the song is the same in all cases.

Here’s my theory on why it’s missing.

On Anthology after the John speech track ‘We Were Performers.. there was nobody to touch us in Britain’’ they cut straight into ‘I Saw Her Standing There’ for maximum effect, no 1,2,3,4.

On Live At The BBC ‘I Got To Find My Baby’ they do the same: it fades then, BAM, in comes Oh! My Soul for maximum effect, no ‘our romance'.

And would the BD guys have bothered with an edit of a sample from another song for such a small detail? The song does work without it.

And, and.. I liked the ‘Our romance’ and I want it back! Just think, “Our romance? Oh! my soul!”... works perfectly as poetry!

Whether I’m right or wrong, if you do have a go at it then it’ll be much appreciated :)