Favourite Paul period

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
FileUnderT

Favourite Paul period

Post by FileUnderT »

I have great memories of Pauls solo work for 'Give my Regards to Broad Street' and 'Pipes of Peace'.
Can anyone upload some video material from this period, especially TV promo appearances, live segments and maybe live. Thank you
bobzilla

Re: Favourite Paul period

Post by bobzilla »

I was actually just watching the "...And Now a Word From Our Sponsor" DVD the other day and there are 4 Give My Regards era TV spots on it. Here they are...

hxxps://we.tl/t-o65LKwMaDQ
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thank you bobzilla for the share.
Golem

Post by Golem »

79-81

Tug of War and Back to the Egg are both in my top 3, perfect albums
moptophugger

Post by moptophugger »

73-75, some pretty good stuff me made in this period, Live And Let Die, Jet, Band On The Run, etc.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

There's no denying that he was a hit record-making machine in the '70s, but I'm particularly fond of the era between Press To Play and Off The Ground. Flowers In The Dirt is my favorite album from that period. The band he had with Wix and Hamish Stuart and Robbie McIntosh was second to none. Some of the songs he buried on B-sides, like "Back On My Feet," "Flying To My Home," "Loveliest Thing," "Kicked Around No More" and especially "I Can't Imagine" are among my favorites of anything he ever released. Millions of people, many of whom like Paul a great deal, have never heard "I Can't Imagine." In a just world, that could have been a big hit A-side.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
FileUnderT

Post by FileUnderT »

bobzilla wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:50 am I was actually just watching the "...And Now a Word From Our Sponsor" DVD the other day and there are 4 Give My Regards era TV spots on it. Here they are...

hxxps://we.tl/t-o65LKwMaDQ
Thank you Bobzilla
Neal Nollie

Post by Neal Nollie »

mojofilter wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:24 am There's no denying that he was a hit record-making machine in the '70s, but I'm particularly fond of the era between Press To Play and Off The Ground. Flowers In The Dirt is my favorite album from that period. The band he had with Wix and Hamish Stuart and Robbie McIntosh was second to none. Some of the songs he buried on B-sides, like "Back On My Feet," "Flying To My Home," "Loveliest Thing," "Kicked Around No More" and especially "I Can't Imagine" are among my favorites of anything he ever released. Millions of people, many of whom like Paul a great deal, have never heard "I Can't Imagine." In a just world, that could have been a big hit A-side.
Also long leather coat
I hope they manage to get round to releasing "off the ground" archive collection with all the extra tracks.
Saw this line up many times very happy memories, very fond of Robbie McIntosh's guitar playing.
I also agree about "press for play" album. It would be great if they did a remix/remaster just to get rid of that harsh 80's sound a bit. Similar to what they did with the "tug of war" album by giving us the original remastered and a remixed version.
Also always been partial to "write away".
FileUnderT

Post by FileUnderT »

'Flowers in the Dirt' was a fab album, so much so I went to see him play Paris when he toured that album, what a show!
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

mojofilter wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:24 am There's no denying that he was a hit record-making machine in the '70s, but I'm particularly fond of the era between Press To Play and Off The Ground. Flowers In The Dirt is my favorite album from that period. The band he had with Wix and Hamish Stuart and Robbie McIntosh was second to none. Some of the songs he buried on B-sides, like "Back On My Feet," "Flying To My Home," "Loveliest Thing," "Kicked Around No More" and especially "I Can't Imagine" are among my favorites of anything he ever released. Millions of people, many of whom like Paul a great deal, have never heard "I Can't Imagine." In a just world, that could have been a big hit A-side.
I used to visit a pub in Weymouth with a work colleague who lived there (in Weymouth not the pub!). The pub would have regular live music much of it acoustic. A regular Sunday lunchtime acoustic gig was often provided by a guy called Robbie McIntosh. He was really good. My friend Clive was on speaking terms with most of the regular musicians so via him I did chat to Robbie a few times. At that time I was a big Beatles fan along with being into Kinks, Hollies and other such sixties/seventies bands. My appreciation of Paul's solo work was limited. It wasn't until some years after when I started to explore the solo work of all of the Beatles that I realised how much Robbie had done with big names like Paul and the Pretenders and others.

He just turned up, played and sang (brilliantly) and accepted adulation for what he did on the day. Never played upon his professional work...I wish he had been a little less meek so I could have been more aware of who he was when I had those opportunities to chat with him...someone one step away from a Beatle! Oh well.