Request: Get Back Session Transcripts

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
enriquelu

Re: Request: Get Back Session Transcripts

Post by enriquelu »

tdgrnwld wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:37 pm Thank you beatlesondvd and bobzilla!
I'm a little surprised that a full transcript, or multiple competing transcripts, isn't available at this late date.
I began work on my own in the early '90s, when the available Nagra collection was fragmentary.
I don't think I got very far, and I don't know where it is today - burned into a CD-ROM archive in a drawer, maybe. I'll try to dig it up (not for the first time) and post it if I find it.
fwiw I found that the task required establishing strict conventions for how to render speech that's trailing off, interrupted, simultaneous, ambiguous, garbled, etc.
hi to everybody

I am the web administrator of https://getbacksessions.blogspot.com/

I am very interested in the transcription of all the NAGRA rolls.

I think it would be of great help to everyone

Please, rummage through the drawers and we will find the complete transcript.

Thanks for your help.
enriquelu

Post by enriquelu »

I have found this website that has almost everything

https://amoralto.tumblr.com/getback
tdgrnwld

Post by tdgrnwld »

Here's what I was able to find: pieces of Get Back Journals and Rockin' Movie Stars. Keep in mind that these were made before Doug Sulpy published his amazing books and before clean, relatively complete copies of the Nagra tapes were available.
My apology to anyone who is offended by the reference to racial politics. It was Paul's improvised phrase and makes sense to me as humor in the context of late-60s Britain. It rings differently - and regrettably - in the context of current politics in the U.S and elsewhere.
The files were saved in an early 90s-era MS Word format, which no longer is readable by any program I can find.
I opened them in Apple Text and deleted the stray characters. What's left is kinda sorta readable.
The original files had lots of text formatting (italic and the like) to indicate differences between people speaking, extraneous sounds, my commentary, notes that needed further checking, etc. - all that is missing. There was also a key that helped locate where in the sessions these conversations took place.
Also I worked on putting the transcript in a columnar format because so many words and sounds overlap. So, a column for each speaker, a column for extraneous sounds, a column for commentary, etc. That isn't reflected in these files.
Stray characters may remain. Also some text appears to be missing, judging by misplaced fragments that I couldn't match to other words in a given file.
hxxps://mega.nz/file/WJ9XFaAR#xgZieeEXF ... KuawMHNzNo
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

Watching Peter Jackson's documentary has made me want to update my transcripts. I think it's about time we had a full set, nearly fifty-three years on! Besides that blog(seen enriquelu's post, above, and tdgrnwld's bits and pieces, directly below it), does anyone know of big chunks of transcripts that I could use to complement mine and move things along faster?
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

Also, does anyone know how to rip the English subtitles from the Peter Jackson doco?
enriquelu

Post by enriquelu »

beatlesondvd wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:53 am Also, does anyone know how to rip the English subtitles from the Peter Jackson doco?
You have it here

https://www.tusubtitulo.com/episodes/83 ... 1-days-1-7
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

Great! Thank you! I'll add these to the master file.
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

tdgrnwld wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:47 pm Here's what I was able to find: pieces of Get Back Journals and Rockin' Movie Stars. Keep in mind that these were made before Doug Sulpy published his amazing books and before clean, relatively complete copies of the Nagra tapes were available.
My apology to anyone who is offended by the reference to racial politics. It was Paul's improvised phrase and makes sense to me as humor in the context of late-60s Britain. It rings differently - and regrettably - in the context of current politics in the U.S and elsewhere.
The files were saved in an early 90s-era MS Word format, which no longer is readable by any program I can find.
I opened them in Apple Text and deleted the stray characters. What's left is kinda sorta readable.
The original files had lots of text formatting (italic and the like) to indicate differences between people speaking, extraneous sounds, my commentary, notes that needed further checking, etc. - all that is missing. There was also a key that helped locate where in the sessions these conversations took place.
Also I worked on putting the transcript in a columnar format because so many words and sounds overlap. So, a column for each speaker, a column for extraneous sounds, a column for commentary, etc. That isn't reflected in these files.
Stray characters may remain. Also some text appears to be missing, judging by misplaced fragments that I couldn't match to other words in a given file.
hxxps://mega.nz/file/WJ9XFaAR#xgZieeEXFGb8oLhwIOmkgYeXeGnK7pw4IKuawMHNzNo
I have that problem with old documents, and solved it with a little free program called OpenOffice. Mine is 4.1.11 and it reads all that old code and rescues your formatting.
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
Mccmark

Post by Mccmark »

I'm also surprised no one has transcribed the Nagra tapes, not that I would want that job. You'd think one of us would have married a court reporter that would do it. Anyway, someone performed optical character recognition on the 1970 book from the box set for what it's worth:
https://archive.org/stream/TheBeatlesGe ... B_djvu.txt
Example: the word "trumpeters" appears in the book, but doesn't appear in the "Get Back transcripts tdgrnwld" text files from mega.
I've never figured out where this text fits in chronologically (ok, I haven't listened to any of the raw Nagra tapes).
The OCR of the book has one or two references to film roll numbers, etc. (example below). I don't know what 13/50 or 50/246 refers to.
I admit I am not up to speed on this; years ago I went down the rabbit hole and became too obsessed with it. I tried to cross reference the old book with this guy's database ( http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~garp/69jan09.htm) but I didn't make any progress. Like they say, there is no substitute for hard work; I wasn't the guy to do it back then. Around 1993, I got into a brief letter writing argument with Sulpy because I couldn't imagine someone taking the time to make up that dialog transcribed in the book, but he insisted a lot of it was. So I wrote I wrote MLH a letter with many questions including the accuracy of text in the book and where are the Nagra recorders, did he keep them, crazy stuff like that (his assistant responded with something like "thank you for your interest in Michael's films, he always enjoys hearing from admirers").
Mark

Transcript Poem no. I
ROLL 101 Slate 190 CAMERA A
Date : 9.1.69.
MUSIC 13/50
SONG '. . . come on home ..
50/246
BEATLE Who's gonna play
sax...
SONG/SPEECH INAUDIBLE
OVER MUSIC 270/288 ’. . . let
MUSIC 270/288