A Big Request...

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
zaval80

Re: A Big Request...

Post by zaval80 »

Track06 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:23 pm Maybe zaval80 is right, so Mrbeatleg's and PC's source would not be the real thing, but we possibly had an rip of the real (mostly) lossless thing (since 2015?), marred by an awful lot of flaws. No real info on the lineage. Graphics/Tracks structure makes it looks like coming from octaner's blog, maybe?
Basically gonchichi's question, just spanning the entire set.
I've had some of the Russian knock-offs before 2004, and the very first volumes, something like 1-3 out of 38, were lossless. So it wasn't ever a question for me that proper DBDs are lossless. PC just used a Minidisc copy of another source of Nagras, the only fault of which is MD in the lineage, as it sounds better. Sadly, my main PC is running at the bottom of the disc space, so I am not able to check Mr Beatleg's or others shares, but if they look like A/B Road in the spectrum, I wonder how come they are original like he said. Could it be there was a pressing of DBDs from a lossy source?
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

Thank you Mrbeatleg, you've really got the ball rolling ...
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

Mrbeatleg - Are you able to start uploading your version yet? No pressure, just wondering...Thanks!
Cheers
Mike
r9453

Post by r9453 »

According to Doug Sulpy (Beginner's Guide to Beatle Bootlegs):

Day By Day volumes 1-28 were released by Yellow Dog and volumes 29-38 were released by Purple Dog/Chick.

"In January 2003, following an investigation by The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry and London detectives, police raids in England and the Netherlands recovered nearly 500 of the original Nagra tapes. Five people were arrested. After the raid, an online bootleg trader known as Purple Chick continued the Day by Day series and also release their own A/B Road collection."

Obviously, from that point in time no further transfers from the master tapes was possible. So, does this explain why DBD 1-28 appear to be from a different source to DBD 29-38?
Bob Dylan
LB Cloud
mitchellmichael

Yeah that makes total sense.
Cheers
Mike
Moptop

Post by Moptop »

r9453 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:29 pm According to Doug Sulpy (Beginner's Guide to Beatle Bootlegs):

Day By Day volumes 1-28 were released by Yellow Dog and volumes 29-38 were released by Purple Dog/Chick.

"In January 2003, following an investigation by The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry and London detectives, police raids in England and the Netherlands recovered nearly 500 of the original Nagra tapes. Five people were arrested. After the raid, an online bootleg trader known as Purple Chick continued the Day by Day series and also release their own A/B Road collection."

Obviously, from that point in time no further transfers from the master tapes was possible. So, does this explain why DBD 1-28 appear to be from a different source to DBD 29-38?
I think the transfers had already been made, prior to the hyped bust, which is why the Perfect Crime collection has a different transfer than Yellow Dog with Strawberry Records and Unicorn making multiple releases.

Unfortunately, Doug's quote is wrong, probably by virtue of when it was written. But I digress, from the Chronology, which was the query.

Day By Day Camera A Vol 1-28 were released by Yellow Dog Europe and Japan. [2000- Summer 2002]
Day By Day Camera A Vol 29-38 were released by Yellow Dog Japan[Autumn 2002-2003]

ImageImage

In Autumn 2002 Commercially released Yellow Dog Fakes were made of Vol 29-32, these were CDRs and mirrored the original DBD release style.

ImageImage

ImageImage

In Summer 2003 Yellow Dog (Japan) announced that the series was on hold after Vol 32 had been issued. The collective behind the Purple Chick releases picked up the rains and issued Vols 33-38 as Internet CDR sized titles. Only Vol 33 was released prior YD Japan Volumes 33 and 34 becoming available in Japan stores.

ImageImage

There have been subsequent Yellow Dog Fakes on CDR with DBD style artwork, some with the CDR recordable logo rather than standard CD logo.
mitchellmichael

So from what we have downloaded here, Is it V29 - 38 which are lesser quality than v1 - 28? I'm losing track.
Cheers
Mike
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

Much has been discussed here in great and wonderful technical detail. Along with others it would be good to know which versions of the volumes that make up this series represent the closest to the original recordings. Is the jury still out or has the case been dismissed?
mitchellmichael

Much2Much wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:52 pm Much has been discussed here in great and wonderful technical detail. Along with others it would be good to know which versions of the volumes that make up this series represent the closest to the original recordings. Is the jury still out or has the case been dismissed?
I certainly hope they're still deliberating!!!
Cheers
Mike
r9453

Post by r9453 »

mitchellmichael wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:14 pm So from what we have downloaded here, Is it V29 - 38 which are lesser quality than v1 - 28?
That's the general impression I get. Although, I don't think its been confirmed that every volume after 29 is lossy. Or that the first 28 volumes are in fact lossless. FWIW, I ran my copy (which is from the BZ 2018 share) through Lossless Audio Checker:
https://losslessaudiochecker.com/
Results (304 files):
91 Clean
4 Transcoded
209 Upsampled
Note, I don't think the algorithm is foolproof but manually checking 304 files would be a huge effort.
Bob Dylan
LB Cloud